OT; And now live from.....

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

Very good point Harry, seems the bloke and bird are fashionable nowadays..

Seems the bird is there to keep the male interest, just in case she accidentally hitches her skirt too high..

Reply to
tony sayer

I thought he spent all his time down the pub!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your local paper works hard, ours, Edinburgh Evening News gets all its `news` from facebook, saves travel expenses suppose.

Problem becoming of course that its dwindling band of readers just use the website rather than buy a pile of advertising and printed facebook edits for 60p.

Online comments generally more accurate and insightful than the story anyway.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby
[snip]

The BBC doesn't need to save on expenses. It steals all the money it wants from you and me and no bastard in parliament can be arsed to do a single thing about it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You forgot about the colossal "golden goodbyes" these thieving bastards bestow on their cronies whenever they step down.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I see they are now clamouring for licence fee from people who don't have a TV but watch on i-player.

Reply to
bert

In message , Artic

Not according top Kate Aidie they're not.

Reply to
bert

In message , tony sayer writes

Or leans forward leers at the camera and show her t*ts.

Reply to
bert

I don't care how much money they spend as you lot are all paying for me!

A family member works for the BBC. You just cannot begin to believe the actual level of wastage on staff salaries other costs.

Reply to
Capitol

Now do a little bit of research about the turnovers of the commercial TV companies in comparison...

Reply to
Adrian

Oh I can, the BBC has sod all actual programme making staff compared to 20 years ago and even then it was a top heavy organisation. The BBC has no proper Outside Broadcast facilities or staff, not sure about studios but most(all?) of the network production studios around the country have gone (Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester etc) Is there anything still in use at TVC? The BBC is little more than a commisioning house these days, yet it still manages to have managers coming out of it's ears...

Don't confuse News with real programme making. In programme making there does appear to be a lot of people not doing anything but that's because everyone can't be doing their job at the same time, they either get in each others way or it's nonsensical, like a make up artist doing the actors make up during a take...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Staff at the BBC? Not presenters or reporters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well yes. If you have an input to reducing staff costs, the very last job to go is yours...

If BBC news were to take all their stuff simply from agencies there would be no need for an on the spot reporter. But what would be the point in just watching a newsreader reading news and nothing else?

Also, there are bulletins of different lengths throughout the day. The same report from an on the spot chap may be edited down for the shorter ones. Or, of course, be done live - but not all the same. A more in depth version may also be only online.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't believe the BBC has real news, all I see is the same international/party political uninteresting item regurgitated umpteen times a day and if it's a London item ( nowhere else exists?), it will be in the main news and repeated ten minutes later in the local news. RT news is more interesting, or Al Jazeera to get different viewpoints.

Reply to
Capitol

Can't speak for other regions, but the local news in London does concentrate on local issues. As you'd expect. Of course some may well overlap into national news. In the same way as the present floods may be in both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The BBC News Channel seems to operate on a 10 minute cycle. Regurgitate same thing over and over again - not forgetting to frequently interject with the headlines again. The "latest" is the same as it was the last time round.

I don't like Paxman but I loved his comment about how sometimes he wishes he could just say no news worth bothering about today and go home.

Reply to
bert

I read the local newspaper

Reply to
bert

Obligatory link:

Bob Eager

And why do they have to have several different teams covering an event simultaneously (radio, TV ...), long events, working shifts I can understand, but why can't the same reporter be working for all mediums ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian