OT: An Absolute Majority to Stay in the Single Market and Customs Union

Imagine the final outcome of Brexit was Britain leaving the European Union with an alternative deal that included remaining in the single market and customs union. Would you consider this to be...

TOTAL ACCEPTABLE 54 TOTAL UNACCEPTABLE 27

27 Not sure 19

Again tucked away at the foot of page 4 of 4

Another result that won't be shouted from the rooftops of course.

Seems even the Guardian are too stupid to read past page 1.

michael adams

michael adams

Regardless of what the politicians say, that is staying in the EU.

Britain would be far worse off though and would have no say in what happens in Europe.

The Brexit mob would wilt with shame if they could understand the ignominy of this.

Brilliant isn't it?

Two years to get to stay in the EU, on far worse terms and with new status of European underdog.

The day after it comes to pass, I can just see Boris crowing about how marvellous it is for Britain to have pulled it off.

A bit like achieving third place in a by election.

ROTFWL

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

The problem is the EU have said that if we want to stay in the Single Market and Customs Union we must agree to all four freedoms, which includes the freedom of movement of people. Some Brexit supporters don't want that - e.g. Mrs May and most of the Conservative Party.

The bizarre thing is that Boris Johnson's proposals effectively keep freedom of movement: if we leave without a deal and the Irish land border has no border checks (as everyone says is essential for peace) then what's to stop huge numbers of people from, say, Eastern Europe flying to Dublin, crossing our land border, and then travelling from Northern Ireland to Great Britain. There are no border checks to stop them at any point. And as we still have no system in place to determine which EU27 citizens have the right to be here because they have been resident for some years and which have not, then there's essentially nothing to stop them getting National Insurance numbers and taking employment.

Reply to
Clive Page

IRELAND IS NOT IN SCHENGEN

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And nor was the UK. Which must mean there were no hoards of EU workers here ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hope no-one has been hoarding them for release after Brexit!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Funny that. As a contractor, I change jobs regularly and for years now, I have had to prove my right to work in the UK and that has involved UK passport (or UK birth certificate and photo driving licence) or other suitable documents . After a no-deal Brexit, it would be reasonable for a period to allow EU citizens to register as resident here, but that would involve proving that they were here before the leave date. After that period, lack of registration should mean lack of work, property rental, etc. Unlike the Windrush generation, they would not be having to prove residence from 40+ years ago, only in recent months, so they should have no problem. Of course the Home Office needs to get itself properly organised and ensure that it is not wrongly rejecting people.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker