OT:Amazon listing

I bought a DVD of "Gregory's Girl" in a charity shop at some time in the past. Having finally got around to watching it (just to check whether Cumbernauld where it was filmed, really was the tip everyone claims it was - which wasn't that apparent from seeing the film years ago) I realised the version I had, had no subtitles. So I checked on Amazon whether there was a later version which did have subtitles. There is

It's on this page on the top row. But not on the third row. Its on the fourth row on the left.

There are however other offerings by marketplace sellers on rows three and four, along with comprehensive descriptions.

Strangely enough there was a TV series called "Bad Girls" about a women's prison which is available in box sets but this version doesn't show up on those listings.

michael adams

michael adams

whit the hell duz youz want subtitles for...perfectly easy to understond ...I love cumbernauld...you can't get to the St Enoch station clock though these days though ......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

As you're here then. Gregory was talking to the lad who's mad on cooking. A girl comes over and asks this lad how to make some sauce or other (I think). It seemed very simple so could you remind me of what it was please ?

michael adams

michael adams

Noodle soup?

Reply to
Davey

'snot 'A' girl, it's Claire Grogan. "Five guys in fifth year cried themselves to sleep over her".

She is 'making' a "pastry mix" her friend is doing noodle soup (though she calls it strudel soup) The mad on cooking chap(Steve) tells her there are no eggs in pastry.

It isn't hard to understand, they are not using thick accents a la 'Trainspotting'.

Reply to
soup

Still, no silly acents should be allowed on TV or broadcast unless it's a comedy show :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

So your of the belief RP is not an accent, or do you expect nothing ever to be "on TV or broadcast"?

That was a film NOT "TV or broadcast" (at least initially).

You see, to me, that is not a silly accent (not even very accented), but it would be a boring world if we were all the same etc.

Reply to
soup

what's RP ? retail price

Where have a said that. ?

And what differnce woud hat make ?

Well some say that, but then some say the moon is far ways from the earth while others might say the earth is far from the moon, the fact remains the distance is fixed the terminology is up to the individual.

That's where comedy comes in.

There was a programme about tornadoes on (first aired in 2016) a brummy commenting on a tornadoe in birmingham was much funnier than an american reporting from Texas.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Received Pronunciation (BBC English).

My take on what you said "no silly accents should be allowed " ALL speech is accented, so according to you no spoken word should ever be broadcast

You had said nothing accented should be broadcast that was not broadcast (initially) so it should not matter that it was accented

What that the accent is silly or that that is not highly accented?

That is the same thing. Calling an accent silly or 'saying' that a film is highly accented is a matter of opinion NOT terminology

I do not find anyone's (non-comedic) reaction to a tornado funny. Black country accent or not.

Reply to
soup

It has nothing to do with accents. In some of the scenes some of them aren't projecting their voices properly, which isn't exactly helped by Claire Grogan's trademark "cutesy" mode of delivery. Which was used to better effect in her role as a hotel receptionist in a TV adaptation of something by Tom Sharpe. "Dorothy" was perfectluy inderstandable throughout as was the games teacher who also featured in Tutti Frutti.

Also the sound quality on this particulat DVD release isn't up to much to start with

michael adams

michael adams

I do not believ that is classed as an accent, for me I;d say it's a fake way of speaking that was and still is used by the wealthy rather than a group of people defined by a geographical location and it isnlt natural either it's made up.

followed by a smilie which you have deleted, did it have the wrong accent ?

People rarely see their own as an accent they always refer to others having an accent.

I was refering to whether it was initially or what "at least initially" meant.

Ask the individual silly is not an SI unit or a physical thing you can test for like poinsion or pollution or noise level. There may indeed be a sillyness scale but I don;t know what the units are or how it is measured.

It's the terminology that the individual uses.

But most do, especailly when unexpected.

Reply to
whisky-dave

13.2 million results on "is RP considered an accent"

soup

Must be something in the water Dorothy (Dee Hepburn) was also a hotel receptionist in (the revamped)Crossroads.

Reply to
soup

e way of speaking that was and still is used by the wealthy rather than a g roup of people defined by a geographical location and it isnlt natural eith er it's made up.

If you use a search term with accent in it you'll find it's an accent. I;d say an accent is a natural way to speak 'learnt' from those arround you , going to a school where you learn how to speak I don't consider that to b e an accent, it's a way of speaking more like a language. RP is as natural as klingon.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Fair enough, how about "Is RP a language" ?

145 million hits, first few (didn't look any further) ' talk' off RP being an accent

From :-

"For this reason it must be described as an accent and not a dialect because Standard English can be spoken with any accent, not just RP."

Still if you want to insist RP is a language not an accent, go ahead. Getting bored now so shan't actually reply in this thread.

Reply to
soup

ake way of speaking that was and still is used by the wealthy rather than a group of people defined by a geographical location and it isnlt natural ei ther it's made up.

Same again.

But the word don;lt appear in the same order as most of us speak, more like yoda is that an accent or a language. How many of us refer to ourselves as One, One's corgies.... if it wasd a true accent then it would have a geographical location, Buck p alace is hardly that. Unless of course your saying the PR originated amonst the walls of buck palace or any other royal home.

you, going to a school where you learn how to speak I don't consider that to be an accent, it's a way of speaking more like a language.

Good.

Reply to
whisky-dave