OT: a couple of observations on Antartic ice.

The extent of the Antartic ice is about the same now as it was 100 years ago.

and

The huge Pine Island glacier in the Antartic has been melting since the 1940's; it's not a recent occurrence.

and

Chris Hogg

You cannot take these things in isolation though. I'm of the opinion also that the climate has always changed due to forces we cannot control, however due to very precise measurements of co2 and the isotopes theirin, we can be sure that a good amount of it in recent times was produced by our activities. We may not be able to stop the climate ultimately swinging, but we should not be making it worse either.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

And with that crashing non sequitur, Brian drops his bombshell.

I can also accurately measure the nail, clippings of my pet dog Brian. Does that mean they cause climate change?

Which is worse, Brian, half a degree warmer, or half a degree colder?

What is the 'correct' temperature?

Why is it 'Correct'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The worse of all would be the next ice-age. In the last ice age, only southern England escaped burying by ice, and in the previous ice age, none of the UK was spared. Nothing north of Portugal and Italy was warm enough to grow any plants for food, or trees for timber/fuel.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel