OT: A browser question.

I recently bought an old laptop just really for programming my home built car ECU. But it would be convenient to download associated software off the net - and it has a problem with IE. It keeps on crashing. I've reloaded Win 98SE - but the same thing. Could be a problem with the network card I added - but it seems fine for other things.
So is there an alternative basic browser that would work ok with '98? Firefox that I use on my proper PC is too bloated for such a slow machine.
--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

much like they were saying:

How ancient is this laptop? Might be worth trying a more recent Windows - 2k, probably - if you can get hold of a copy.
A quick google suggests Phoenix might be worth a look - http://www.download.com/Phoenix-Web-Browser/3000-2356_4-10728156.html
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Opera is said to be a very fast, relatively small browser.

Might still be a bit much if Dave thinks current FF is a bit much, but you can still get hold of old versions
<http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/win/
I was using something like 3.6 on Win95 in a P12o
--
Chris French

Opera's seems very good at wasting CPU for no reason at all these days, so I'd recommend v7 or earlier. Just be aware it won't be too secure.
Theo

Have you installed anti-virus software and an anti-spyware package?
Viruses and, especially, spyware could be at the root of the problem.
Bruce wrote:

or for that matter anti-virus software - on an old machine it will grind to a halt with modern AV packages (having said that - most don't support 98 these days)
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

The Antivirus products that exclude scanning for spyware should be still useful in some defence even for an old machine and don't have the software load of the more recent do everything suites. The free version of avast! is supported on Windows 95, and is low footprint I've heard (I use AVG)
--
Adrian C

Avast still works ok on my 98se laptop, 64Mb ram and a 266MHz Pentium II
:(
-

Opera? Safari?
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:25:25 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Have you tried an older version of FF? I use a 98 laptop with V1.5 - works a treat.
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net

Since I use it in the main PC I wondered about that and tried to find older versions without success.
--
*There are two kinds of pedestrians... the quick and the dead.

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:57:01 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Take yer pick!
http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php
Regards,
--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenetgmx.net

Shame - tried looking for turnpike there, didn't recognise it
--
geoff

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:06:58 +0000, Stephen Howard

http://offbyone.com/offbyone /
basic but fast and runs on win 95/98
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

May be dodgy RAM, Dave

If its go 1/2 gig of RAM go linux, but run memtest first.

I *really* couldn't be bothered with yet another OS...
--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Its not just another OS, its...Linux..!
For everything else, there is mastercard.
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:46:47 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I've still got one useful machine that runs Linux happily in 16MB (booting from a 32MB CF card). No graphics, but I think there's a copy of Lynx on there if I ever needed to browse the web...
Seconded on the memtest, and I'd run something that does a full R/W test on the hard disk too. Leave them going overnight; a duff disk block could be the issue, and might explain why it's app-specific...
cheers
J.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"

Various versions of old stuff here, more in keeping with the old thing. http://www.oldversion.com /