OT. 50% of food wasted?

As it is a preservative, it won't go off in the meaning of becoming dangerous to health. As you say, malt vinegar does get a brown sediment after being stored for a long time, but I've never noticed that affecting the taste.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

"Manufactured" jam in Italy didn't keep well. You had to keep it in the fridge or it was only fit to throw away within four weeks.

This may have changed now,

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I know a chap who used to supply tomatoes to a supermarket and, although they would only take the ones that met their size, colour and shape specifications, his contract with the supermarket prohibited him from selling the rest anywhere else.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

One of the useless facts that I learnt once was that the only food that doesn't is honey. (so therefore vinegar must)

BICBW

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I don't think that's true. I once earwigged a discussion between a butcher and a vet. They were bemoaning the fact that people *think* that game is hung until it goes off. In fact, it's hung until the cell enzymes start to break down the cell walls. Nothing at all to do with bacteria.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , tim..... writes

The published figure smacks more of some underpaid researcher obtaining a set of yield figures for a range of crops, totalising the supermarket sales and assuming the discrepancy is waste:-)

Those farm trailers that get in your way in East Anglia, carting potatoes/carrots/onions etc. are heading off to a packing shed where the product will be cleaned, sorted and bagged ready for the shelves.

It is quite likely that 50% will not reach the specification and will be re-routed to street markets or animal feed. The only real waste will be what goes in your kitchen bin or the unsold by sell by skip. I can well imagine what would be said to the manager if this reached 5%!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Streater writes

Not just game. Beef is also hung.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Bizarre to call that a fact! Most certainly unpasteurised homey can deteriorate. As can honey exposed to air or light. At what point it is regarded as "off" may be arguable.

What about granulated white sugar, kept dry?

Reply to
polygonum

I did not mean that they are not made to a decent standard and might even be pleasant to consume. But those that are fully cooked (as many curries are), then chilled, are really very much like leftovers. That is, a dish is fully prepared, then cooled, and left for a while before being reheated and eaten.

But, unlike real home leftovers, they are probably chilled more speedily. And they are likely to have things in them to thicken and emulsify, stabilise, etc. So overall, quite likely less good than well treated leftovers.

(I am the one who would put liver and bacon and onion, and a bit of mash, in the fridge. And eat it cold for breakfast. Out of choice. So leftovers are most definitely part of my life.)

Reply to
polygonum

No.

Reply to
DrTeeth

I can't help wondering why IMechE are publishing reports about this rather than an agricultural/food industry/retail body??

Our household rarely throws out any food. Recent all of us have been ill and not always felt like finishing a meal but other than that it is clean plates all round.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The only ***naturally occurring*** foodstuff that doesn't go off. Many foods after processing last indefinitely.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

If you've got posh vinegar that tastes of something more than acetic acid, the flavour will deteriorate slowly. If any vinegar-yeast are alive in the bottle, they'll first form a jelly mass known as "mother of vinegar" then dissolve the bottle cap and escape to begin a campaign of galactic domination. Supermarket vinegar will outlast its owner.

Reply to
Darkside

I've never had the desire to put anything other than Sarson's malt vinegar on my fish and chips :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On Saturday 12 January 2013 15:19 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's the sort of bollocks that needs legislating against...

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Saturday 12 January 2013 15:40 Tim Streater wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's interesting - but still shows that it is quite tolerant to hanging around for some time (literally). You would not want to do that with chicken.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah the same argument used by smokers.

You need a bit of care as the mould isn't always the thing that kills. Its the toxins the mould produces and different moulds and/or bacteria create different toxins. The toxins can be absorbed by the food so just removing the mould may no be enough.

Reply to
dennis

Dean Swift had a modest proposal which would fix that.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Well you could stew the leftovers.

Reply to
dennis

This 50% includes things like chicken bones, the giblets which the supermarket removed, veg peel, orange peel, the tin your mushy peas came in.... OK, maybe not that bit, but pretty much _everything_ else.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet