Orangery

I am building an orangery within the permitted development rules and would like to stick a couple of radiators in it off the heating system which has spare capacity. It seems that building regs apply to this and suggest electric. Has anybody installed radiators without prblems from building regs.

Reply to
Gone Fishin

Just make sure it's on it's own control. Is your orangery being built under "building regs exemption" (ie like a conservatory)? I have heating in my conservatory and it's fine. Your situation is no different - but you might want to pay some attention to avoiding the pipes freezing in winter if you are away and the heating breaks down.

Isolation valves inside the house would be one way, anothe ris to keep the rad on the house wall (this is an attached building, yes?) - the stored warmth in the wall will tend to help.

Reply to
Tim Watts

They are not building regs exempt, they are permitted under planning laws. You still have to comply with building regs.

I have a fan heater connected to the boiler in mine with a dual port valve and stat to satisfy the requirements and to save money.

I also have an AC unit that works as a heat pump for when it gets really cold/hot.

Reply to
dennis

Not quite:

Case in point:

My conservator goes over my main drains. I asked the BCO if he'd like to inspect the footings and that all was done correctly (I have an open Building Notice).

His reply was: if it's a conservatory, officially I do not care about any aspect of it, other than Part P and the door to the main house (paraphrased).

He did go on to give me some actual advice (drains in gravel, foundations bridged over drain) but he had no official requirement to check anything nor did he.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought you were starting a discussion about politics in Northern Ireland :-)

Reply to
Scott

A quick Google suggests that a conservatory and an orangery are different types of structure (hence the different name).

As far as I can tell from a quick search there are some requirements about the amount of glazing in proportion to the size which determine if it requires BC. There may be other things as well.

Conservatories are assumed to be mainly glazing and separated from the main dwelling by doors and so can be cold in the winter. AIUI.

Worth checking out.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I assume that he wasn't interested because a conservatory is usually exempt and you weren't modifying the drainage (which usually requires BC approval) but just building over it.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

That requirement was dropped in 2010.

and separated from the

Yes indeed - that is still true (and still routinely ignored by some people!)

Reply to
Tim Watts

That was the gist of it. In fact the drains were new a few years before, but already inspected and passed.

I was surprised he wasn't interested in the building over - but he said that effectively, the conservatory didn't exist with regard to any jurisdiction he had, so...

Reply to
Tim Watts

ISTR there is a distinction between a conservatory that still has a door between the main building and it, and one that is permanency "open" to the main building. i.e. if you make the conservatory part of the thermal envelope of the building, then building regs would apply.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes indeed (I think I mentioned that)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yup reading again you did ;-)

Basically if you take the door out *before* the BCO sees it, its no longer a conservatory, and becomes an extension. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Duh!

Reply to
Gone Fishin

But if you did it wrong it would come down on you.

Reply to
dennis

Google is your friend if you did not get taught history at school.

Reply to
Scott