Optimum Height Of Window Radiator

Well, after reading this thread about 3 hours ago, jsut out of curiosity I folded the curtains of the room with the 'stat up onto the windowsill. Then had to close down that rad. as the temperature in this room had stabilised about 0.5C lower than usual (it's now back to its previous value. The curtains so folded are between the top and fins of the type 11 rad., with most of the pleats against the wall, so it seems to make some difference. This is a very small sample!

Reply to
PeterC

What way do you usually have the curtains ?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Fully down and, as above, the bottoms are about 1" below the panel and 1" above the fins, with about 75% of the curtain against the wall and the rest out over the fins. I can see how curtains interfere with the convection on a type 11; be less effect on a type 20 - 22 as most of the convection is from the centre.

Reply to
PeterC

My new rad is a type 22 so ,depending on how deep the sill is cut ,I could have the curtains ( when closed) sitting just below the sill and between the sill and the back of the rad .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

That would be better than over the top or outside of the radiator. I've a type 22 and the curtains are a couple of inches below the top of it; the rear panel is only about an inch from the wall so the gap is almost closed off by the curtain.

I'm still wondering what to do with the type 11s: fold and pin the curtain; have some sort of bottom rail/wire; or, is it possible to get a grille, like that on a double panel, for a type 11?

Reply to
PeterC