one for the camera buffs..

[14 lines snipped]

Except that my scabby Panasonic TZ70 (*) mounts its file system as read-only, so you can't delete files via the USB.
(* I *knew* I shouldn't have broken my "Never buy anything made by Panasonic ever again" rule.)
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 51st day of Discord in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

Presumably you can select all of the images on the camera and delete them after transferring via USB to your PC?
--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l

Well ... you can reformat the card.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 51st day of Discord in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
In message < snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.o

Yes. That is just what I have been doing. The thread had drifted away from the original topic so I didn't bother to report back:-)
While you are here... why is *drag and drop* no longer functioning properly on my XP. Files drag OK but then disappear into the ether when dropped only to reappear when the PC is re-started.
--
Tim Lamb

On 04/05/2016 18:33, Tim Lamb wrote: 8<

Hmmm, camera USB about 15 Mbytes/sec, Card reader about 80 Mbytes/sec. Well worth taking the card out imo.

Unless you need the camera straightaway and can't wait a couple of minutes...
If you damage the pins in the CF socket in the camera by repeatedly inserting and removing CF cards then you're buggered basically; and will need to get it repaired before the camera is useable
If instead you eventually damage the mini USB socket on the camera by repeatedly inserting and removing the mini USB plug* then you can still use CF cards and download the images that way.
michael adams
* Not that this has ever happened in over 15 ish years and 3 different cameras.

On 04/05/2016 21:26, michael adams wrote:

Do SD cards have pins which will damage in that way? Most cameras use those these days it seems...
(I've always removed the SD card to transfer photos. It's always seemed a lot easier than finding a USB cable, and faster.

Excepting high end DSLR's maybe. SD cards have gold contacts which presumably make contact with spring-loaded something or others inside of the slot.

But even with SD cards, given two different ways of downloading photos - or doing anything else for that matter with any piece of equipment - if the failure of one method would disable the camera and necessitate costly repairs, whereas the other wouldn't, then I'd always plump for the latter. Then if that failed I could always revert to the first method.
michael adams
On 05/05/2016 11:45, michael adams wrote:

Depends on what the chance of failure is. The SD card slot will be one of the less-likely things to fail on a camera, so I'd have no qualms about using it - the camera will die for other reasons before the SD dies.
(now the USB socket - that's one I reckon would be more likely to die)

Depends on which USB socket it is. Micro USB is deliberately designed so that normally the cable plug fails so it is easy to use another cable. The socket doesn't normally fail.

I just want a Bluetooth enabled one;)...
--
Tony Sayer

Anyone (here) used the WiFi enabled SD cards?
Like: http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-401
Cheers, T i m
dennis@home.?.invalid writes

I doubt I'd notice the difference, Dennis. It was nice being able to delete copied photos though.

--
Tim Lamb