one for the camera buffs..

Yes. That is just what I have been doing. The thread had drifted away from the original topic so I didn't bother to report back:-)

While you are here... why is *drag and drop* no longer functioning properly on my XP. Files drag OK but then disappear into the ether when dropped only to reappear when the PC is re-started.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Unless you need the camera straightaway and can't wait a couple of minutes...

If you damage the pins in the CF socket in the camera by repeatedly inserting and removing CF cards then you're buggered basically; and will need to get it repaired before the camera is useable

If instead you eventually damage the mini USB socket on the camera by repeatedly inserting and removing the mini USB plug* then you can still use CF cards and download the images that way.

michael adams

  • Not that this has ever happened in over 15 ish years and
3 different cameras.

Reply to
michael adams
8<

Hmmm, camera USB about 15 Mbytes/sec, Card reader about 80 Mbytes/sec. Well worth taking the card out imo.

Reply to
dennis

I doubt I'd notice the difference, Dennis. It was nice being able to delete copied photos though.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well ... you can reformat the card.

Reply to
Huge

And if you are one of few then it could be a deal breaker (as it often is for me). ;-(

No?

Ok.

Pass.

Quite, therefore you aren't part of the group I am discussing.

No, that's the exact opposite of what I'm saying and very much part of why I (and I believe many others) picked up on the Intel Macs. I know quite a few support guys who (now / can) run a Mac AND have full blown / real Windows.

Erm, I used to run Sheepshaver on (this) XP on my Mac Mini so I could help my Dad who was still using OSX9.2 on his old CRT iMac.

You may be right.

I still have my BBC-B but never really used it much, preferring the ZX-81 / Spectrum for the same reason I prefer Windows to OSX or Linux. That is because there was more stuff (especially games) out there for the more 'consumer' orientated Spectrum than 'geeky' BBC.

Dad had his iMac for longer and had to force power it off several times. Maybe part of that was because he was running an older OS and he did that because he had older programs he relied on that wouldn't run on OSX?

You are probably right.

The manufacturer changed the hardware in a subtle way that only impacted OSX (not Windows). It returned a slightly different USB code and possibly required a different driver that didn't exist.

No, it was definitely a lack of compatibility between that hardware and OSX on the same machine that ran Windows and could use the hardware with no issues. The user was perfectly competent.

Maybe bed sizes are like clothes sizes? ;-(

Then why discuss it?

And how do you do that exactly? This particular USB Webcam was both compatible with OSX (it had successfully been used by two of us) and was know (it had been successfully used by two of us). How could anyone predict that the manufacturer would change the specification of the hardware very slightly yet that change would only stop it working on OSX, not Windows?

This is my whole point, because 'most stuff' IS designed for and tested on Windows (first) you are less likely to be able to do as you suggest with any OS other than Windows.

Please don't be like one of those blinkered geek's that stick their fingers in their ears and go 'blah blah blah', just because someone tells it as it is.

Just because *you* haven't ever been frustrated that *you* can't run some software on OSX or get some hardware to work on OSX doesn't mean there aren't many pro Apple / Mac users who are. The fact that it hasn't affected you or if it has and you don't care, doesn't change things either.

It's like the Linux geeks who have to run Windows because their chosen software isn't available on Linux (or chosen hardware isn't supported) but because they run Windows in a VM, don't believe they are running Windows!!! Really, it's true! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Do SD cards have pins which will damage in that way? Most cameras use those these days it seems...

(I've always removed the SD card to transfer photos. It's always seemed a lot easier than finding a USB cable, and faster.

Reply to
Clive George

Excepting high end DSLR's maybe. SD cards have gold contacts which presumably make contact with spring-loaded something or others inside of the slot.

But even with SD cards, given two different ways of downloading photos - or doing anything else for that matter with any piece of equipment - if the failure of one method would disable the camera and necessitate costly repairs, whereas the other wouldn't, then I'd always plump for the latter. Then if that failed I could always revert to the first method.

michael adams

michael adams

Depends on what the chance of failure is. The SD card slot will be one of the less-likely things to fail on a camera, so I'd have no qualms about using it - the camera will die for other reasons before the SD dies.

(now the USB socket - that's one I reckon would be more likely to die)

Reply to
Clive George

Depends on which USB socket it is. Micro USB is deliberately designed so that normally the cable plug fails so it is easy to use another cable. The socket doesn't normally fail.

Reply to
Simo

I just want a Bluetooth enabled one;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Anyone (here) used the WiFi enabled SD cards?

Like:

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m