Old Wylex board convert to RCBO?

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 17/07/2017 :

That is not my call. Were it mine, I would have upgraded it years ago.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mike Tomlinson explained on 17/07/2017 :

I seems to remember a Wylex DB, which was entirely encased in brown plastic, which had knock outs. It used the same front part of the case as the wood framed version, but had a rear plastic case, making it fully enclosed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When I install kit that will "outlive me" I hope its because it will last a long time, not actively shorten my time!

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Heh :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Harry Bloomfield escribió:

Yes, I've seen those too, albeit in beige. Presumably newer than the brown ones (mine is actually black, but hey.)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You could and should install a new box with a cutoff and RCD before where the elec goes into the old wooden box. And maybe add a new consumer unit for new circuits, and the high power ones (immersion heater?)

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

"like"

Reply to
Adam Funk

Which would mean that if it tripped whilst they were away for a few days, fridge and freezer would defrost. The modern way is to protect only those circuits which are not quite so critical.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In effect creating a "whole house RCD" installation, which is a now deprecated practice due to its many downsides.

If going to that much effort, just replace the whole CU with a modern one. Additional ones have a place when you need one extra way on a system that in most other respects is ok.

Reply to
John Rumm