Old oil

will vegetable oil burn in paraffin lamps and stoves?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Not very well no.

heavily diluted its OK in oil boilers and diesel engines though

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Diluted with what?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fruit juice of course. Honestly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

100 parts diesel. If you don't want to wreck your modern diesel car. Not many left on the road that will be OK with vegetable oil neat.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The heating oil or diesel stoopid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How much are you trying to dispose of? It should burn fine in a woodburner, I would be inclined to soak it up into sawdust / wood shavings / shredded paper. Not sure if you might get more soot and/or tar than from wood.

Reply to
newshound

Any particular fruit or will any sort do? ;-)

Reply to
pamela

I remember in the days of power cuts in the 70s, on Blue Peter, they showed how to make a lamp using a jar of vegetable oil, a cork, and a wick. I actually tried it, because I was a bit of a pyromaniac; and it was rather smoky, but I guess the design was less than optimal. Imagine them showing that on children's TV these days :-)

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Olive juice is quite good.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Wouldn't fruit juice cost more than diesel? What I'd call fruit juice starts at about 2 quid a litre. Unless you have your own supply of suitable fruit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Always got the impression that the bible was full of burning vegetable oil lamps. That was rather more Saint Peter than Blue Peter - and a very long time ago.

Reply to
polygonum

I wonder what sort of oil they used in those days? I've been down a few of the Roman catacombs - some of my favourite places in the world - and there are little shelves in the wall, so that they could work by oil lamps (little more that wicks in dishes, really). I'm always amazed by how people used to get stuff we can just buy, like turpentine, and mortar.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Olive 'juice' was widely available around the Mediterranean in antiquity. Archeological evidence shows that olives were turned into olive oil by 6000 BC and 4500 BC in present-day Israel.

Chris Hogg

Wasn't rapes seed though.

Actually more likely to be olive oil

That was rather more Saint Peter than Blue Peter - and a very

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I always sort-of assumed it was olive oil - but I can't for the life of me think why. Trouble is, we all make what later seem to be weird assumptions. I always thought the Gaderene swine made some sense - until I questioned why anyone in a middle eastern country in which eating pigs is at least frowned upon would ever have been keeping pigs. So perhaps they used rendered pig fat? Gadarendered swine?

Reply to
polygonum

Before Islam there was Judaism and lots of other stuff.

Lots of people ate pigs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Imagime them designing a diesek that won't run on vegitable oil these days???

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

But Tesla is in living memory -just.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Once they fell out of favour with god they were sent into slavery in Babylo n. At the fall of Babylon slaves were set free to go where they wished but the original Palestinians were never removed, as far as we know. On top of that other nations were installed in Palestine by the Assyrians then the Ba bylonians to which only those who wished to return to the old land of Canaa n were there when Alexander took them.

He was about to make them sacrifice a pig, so the story goes but was persua ded not to. So the choice of who were the Gadarene pig men is international . They may have belonged to any of the nationalities that were Roman soldie rs. The idea of just who is what when they come here and upset the Anglo Sa xons and forced them to disassociate from Europeans.... Hot dog!

If you ever use lard for cooking you will realise that they wouldn't want i t burning inside a house. It is about the worst stinking cjjd you could ima gine but I was wondering if a paraffin stove wick would suck up waste veget able oil or is there something about it that prevents that?

If it does then why isn't it used as candle lighting? These days the fashion is for glass jars filled with wax that ends up leavi ng a thick ring of wax unburned.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer