Oil vs Calorgas

I'm currently looking at renting a house in the CB8 area south of Newmarket, and most of the villages don't have mains gas. One of the places I've seen has Calorgas. From what I've heard, oil seems quite expensive, so I was wondering how the cost of Calorgas relates to oil for heating and hot water.

Cheers! Robert

Reply to
Robert Campbell

I've a 4 bedroom cottage near Edinburgh and oil CH is currently costing me =A3450 a year. In the summer I use the immersion heater for DHW ( basically kitchen sink only). Electric shower. Maybe useful information.

Reply to
robgraham

Only a 1,000l/year or haven't you bought any oil in a while?

We get through 3,000 to 4,000l/year but it is a large place with solid stone walls, draughts, exposed and high up.

As for the OP, with energy prices as volatile as they are it might be worth noting that with bulk LPG you can't "shop around" for the best dea= l you have to buy you gas from the supplier of the tank, which they own an= d you rent. With oil you can buy from who ever you want.

I don't know what LPG costs per l or how much energy you get per l.

Oil is around 43p/l and gives about 10kW of energy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This has been discussed recently in this group and the consensus seems to be that oil is expensive but no more so than gas. It's certainly a lot less expensive than electricity or Calorgas.

Reply to
Calvin

Welcome to CB8!

(Even) More expensive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the info! The Calorgas tank is a big one, way out at the back of the garden - I thought it might have been a bit cheaper in bulk. It's a pity, as it's the best of the rentals we've seen (Woodditton), and a damn sight better value than anywhere near Cambridge (and some interesting back roads to play with on my commute). There's a possibility in West Wratting which has oil heating - walking distance of a good pub too...

Reply to
Robert Campbell

Ah..thats your general area is it?

I moved here because despite being 20 miles from Cambridge, the A14 made a great difference...

Now I don't need to be near Cambridge at all.

Property is far cheaper if you go a bit further east still..

I wouldn't let the calor gas be the deciding factor tho. In bulk its not THAT bad..well everything is bad..44p a liter at the moment for oil, and unlikely to improve.

I am not that enamoured of Wood Ditton myself, but its not a bad commute to the sort of Cherry Hinton areas etc..if its the science park, you really would do better to look at SE of Newmarket..and use the dreaded A14.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher