Oil-filled radiator - why must it not be turned on and off at the mains?

So after designing, inspecting and tearing down however many electrical & electronic appliances, I should change my views on how engineers & businesses work simply on the basis of one sample that does not contradict what I said.

I dont use, design or sell oil rads. I do however have misgivings about the lack of earthing of certain heaters on the market, and the percentage of portable heaters that have safety issues I would probably not welcome in my own home.

FYI domestic appliances are required to remain safe after one fault. For a serious problem to occur, the following would need to happen:

  1. thermostat failure
  2. coats etc covering much of the heater's area
  3. Backup thermal cutout failure

So if you cover the things with clothes, they might have a point. If not there isnt an issue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I did notice this one was also earthed. The only fault I've ever found is 1 of 4 had a bad plug.

Reply to
Tim Watts

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ah - I remember now. Wonder what model that was?

Seems weird as they seemed to have no problem bolting an earth wire to the case on mine...

Reply to
Tim Watts