oil cloth

No, that's linoeum. As the name suggests, it's made from linseed oil, impregnated into a cloth substrate and then cured.

Oil cloth, or oil skin, was used to make waterproof clothing (and very good it was too).

Presumably the OP is actually looking for vinyl coated fabric as used for tablecloths, etc. Never seem that in self-adhesive form but I imagine it could be glued.

Reply to
newshound

John Lewis stocks a decent range of vinyl fabric

Reply to
newshound

And it's horrible!

Reply to
newshound

Very much so. All grades available as its a standard material. Buy from drapers or online.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also Dunelm mills

Reply to
Chris French

That's how I remember Oilcloth to be too. And then, there was Linoleum. Either of which we would break up into small sqaures to flick through the air.

..Ray

Reply to
RayL12

Have a read of Wiki:

I agree with them that oilcloth is a flexible material - and anything that is like linoleum is linoleum and not oilcloth.

Reply to
polygonum

The Wiki description describes something other than I would put inside my shoes when the sole wore out. The floor covering we(I) am referring to would produce a lot of tar drops when on fire and dense black smoke. It would also tear with ease. Tar-cloth may be a better term for what we had but even then, I don't think there was any cloth in it at all?

Just found this...

It describes the oildcloth we knew. It mentions the use of bitumen. No webbing, as such. Not very good stuff at all but, it did stop a lot of the draughts coming up through the timber floors of the 50's built homes.

Reply to
RayL12