5A plug, 10A socket

A quick question re some interestingly* marked leads. These are IEC C13 leads, which are 10A connectors. But the moulded on plugs are marked 5A. I'm thinking this would be a pat test fail, is that correct?

  • for some value of interesting

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Assuming the plug has a 5 amp fuse, it would be fine. The 5A rating presumably applies to the cable.

Reply to
charles

Are these old leads?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't know, they're probably not brand new is all I really know. So far I 've failed them on the basis that the plug is not rated to handle the loads normally encountered with such leads. I assume they're corner cutting chin ese things rather than anything historic. Several other corner cutting chin ese items have been failed from the same batch, mostly for being unearthed and not class II or foreign plugs, some other fails too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Right. It's just that I've not seen any new IEC leads rated at below the maximum for some time. But they were once quite common. My guess is the flex is now always rated to blow a 13 amp fuse in event of a fault without problems. Just whether something which once did - presumably - comply with regs when fitted with the correct fuse, is still ok now, I dunno. After all, places where things need PAT shouldn't have untrained people fiddling with fuses.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt they ever complied. I can't see it making sense to permit 5A C13 leads when it's obvious people will routinely plug them in to 10A loads.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What routine 10A loads can you think of? Most will be plugged into computers and monoitors which might use 2A at most. Kettles use a "hot" connector with a different moulding on both plug and socket from the standard IEC connector.

Reply to
charles

And in any case they have a 5A fuse, just incase someone has a really big computer. The cable is enough to blow a 5A fuse with a short.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I have some which were originally supplied with IT kit from firms such as Compaq. And such leads are still sold now by eg CPC. Darn site easier to wrangle than 10A flex.

Reply to
Robin