Oil boiler on the blink ?

My oil fired boiler worked fine this morning but this evening refuses to fire up - the water moves through the pipes etc (perfectly normal when switched on) but I don't hear it fire up.

Time to call out the boiler repairman I guess? Or is there anything that I can do?

An amber light comes on on the burner unit when I press the switch on the timer unit so that timer unit is okay.

The boiler is a Danesmoor 15/19 - is there any servicing info on the 'net that I could utilise if only as a stop gap measure (it's either that or I freeze to death ;-) )

Oh yes, the burner unit is a Bentone Inter B9-B Worcester 15/19

Thanks

Reply to
Dom

BTW, there's plenty of oil in the oil tank and the boiler was lasted serviced 2 years ago.

Reply to
Dom

Ah, 'fixed' it - found some manuals on the 'net and pressed the Lockout Reset button. She then fired up. :-)

I guess though it would be a good idea to get it serviced now?

If so, should I mention the lockout incident to the engineer?

Would could have caused the lockout? I mean, does this simply happen at times or is it indicative of something else developing a fault?

Reply to
Dom

Assuming it's of a type with which I'm familiar (pressure jet burner) then the lockout could have been caused by the flame failure devise, AKA 'magic eye' - a photocell. The glass front of which gets covered in soot, you just clean it up with a cloth. Mine seemed to soot up about every two years, that was easily overcome with a pre-seasonal clean, just a 10 minute job.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Is an Electro Oil Inter B9-B a pressure jet burner? I don't know.

Any ideas how I go about finding the location of the photo cell please? :)

Reply to
Dom

photo cell located on the side of the burner but can be traced with a black two core flex going back to the control box. usually can be pulled out of the burner quite easilly. still get it serviced as that can inprove you fuel efficiency as well as its reliabillity,

Pete

Dom wrote:

Reply to
gasman pete

Mines started doing this also..after 4 years never-been-serviced. I surmise the high winds have caused it to smoke up its optical flame sensor or the jet needs changing..camray 5 anyone?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yeah. I used to get some old lag to service my old bpiler. He used to change the jet, wipe the photocell, charge me 50 quid and bugger off.

Total tosser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher