Oil boiler install and G3 regs

Hi,

I'm about to embark on installing my own oil fired boiler and tank having been deswaded from going for LPG by contributors to this group and others.

I have been given the goahead by my local Building Control Officer after demonstrating that I had studied Approved Doc J and BS5410, and knew more about it than he did.

I now have to submit a building notice which requires me to state the name of the body, if any, which has approved or certified the system is capable of performing in a way which satisfies the requirements of paragraph G3 of Approved Document G. This requirement is for safeguards against the water temp rising above 100 degrees C in a pressurised system with a capacity over 15 litres.

The boiler I intend to install will be either a Worcester Heatslave

15/19 RS combi or a Boulter Camray 5 Combi. Neither of these companies can tell me the information I need to complete the form. My BCO says that it isn't needed yet but will be before inspection is carried out and the job signed off.

I don't want to go ahead and start the job to find that I fall at the last hurdle, so can anyone tell me or give me a clue as to how I can find this information?

Also can anyone give me any good/bad points of the 2 boilers I have mentioned so I can make my mind up? They both seem about the same to me.

Many thanks

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy Gibson

Good start !! :-)

Not that they could refuse.

Why go for a pressurised system ?

And if you do, the name of the body is the local building control. If you are competant in this area, they are there for you to show that it's right - no need for third parties.

Reply to
G&M

I think you'll have been there but if not have a look at

- the Oil Firing Technical Association At
:- "If you have a specific problem that isn't dealt with on this web site, please contact us by email on the Technical Advice Form. Our Technical Services Manager will be happy to help you with queries on equipment, regulations and any other matters related to oil-fired heating. A fee may be charged for detailed technical questions - this will be advised on receipt of your form."

I couldn't find your specific query except the throwaway line "Note: Separate qualifications are required for installations involving unvented hot water storage covered by Advisory Document G3" at

- Important information for building control officers regarding oil installations OFG/107

Reply to
Peter K

Presumably you intend to use a standard manufacturers oil fired boiler as the primary source of heat? If so your boiler will need to be fitted with a control thermostat backed up by an overheat stat. The boiler manufacturer will supply the unit with overheat stat already fitted if the boiler is approved for use on a sealed system hence they are the ones to provide you with the verification of conformation. However if the BCO is really asking for conformity with respect to an unvented system hot water cylinder you should approach the cylinder manufacturers although AIUI all unvented cylinder installations must be by registered installers which makes his query redundant. In any case if the cylinder is heated by a primary coil containing boiler water the only way for the cylinder to achieve over 100 degrees C is for the boiler to overheat above this temperature and produce superheated water or steam, both of which require two stats to fail sequentially. In the case of an open vented primary or secondary overheating above 100 degrees is "highly" unlikely due to the laws of physics and the boiling point of unpressurised water

Reply to
John

Not any more. The ODPM has rescinded this requirement after many complaints. For once they have listened to competant DIYers. Likewise you can install your OWN gas equipment - though not anybody else's.

Reply to
G&M

I've had a reply this morning to an email I sent to a guy at Worcestor boilers. This states that the Heatslave combi's are excempt from G3 of the Building Regulations as it contains less than 15 litres of mains pressure water. The stored water within the appliance is of primary water held within a thermal store which is also not part of G3 coverage.

So looks like I can submit the form now and make start.

Thanks for the info and links supplied.

Jimmy

Jimmy Gibs> Hi,

Reply to