Oh, what a light.

So I got this brillian effoff light rom a skip outside a shopfitters the other day. It plugs into the mains but when it is switched on it hums. It's that sort of powerful.

The only thing on the bulb says: CED LMB170DE

24-05

In the housing there is a capacitor, an igniter and a transformer. The Igniter is rated for 400 Watts but I can't believe that's all it is. There's all sorts of ratings pasted all over things but what do I look for?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 06:54:34 -0700, Weatherlawyer mused:

Or that sort of knackered.

Lamp.

Give us a picture for a start, of the lamp or fitting, preferably both. I don't know what you're looking for exactly until what you're looking for has been found. If you could give us all the numbers we could possibly tell you what you want, but a picture tells a thousand words. You should know all this though.

Reply to
Lurch

There's loads -and that's just the small print. I can't even see the invisible stuff!

Knowing "all this though" and having a camera are not the same thing at all.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 07:06:43 -0700, Weatherlawyer mused:

Hmm.

Everyone's got a camera nowadays, try buying something without a camera built in!

Reply to
Lurch

First port of call would be google and then possibly...

George

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:14:03 GMT, "George" mused:

lamp in commercial fittings.

Reply to
Lurch

Odd. I spent a load of money at the supermarket and managed to avoid buying ANNYTHING with a camera in it.

In fact I can't think of anything I have bought in the last 2 years that DID have a camera in it.

What am I doing wrong?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:27:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher mused:

Taking things a bit too literally. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

I bought a mobile phone recently without a camera, wap etc - and that was easy!

Reply to
Brian G

The rating on the transformer (which is really a ballast).

The rating on the ignitor is just the max lamp wattage it can ignite.

Beware that the ignitor and ballast generate pulses of several kV to start the lamp (depending on exactly what lamp it uses).

Does it actually work?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:26:57 +0100, "Brian G" mused:

A brand new one? I want a phone like that, just for making phone calls with, not one that will occasionally make a call inbetween crashing and locking up.

Reply to
Lurch

Samsung C300, £30 from Woolworths on either Orange or Voda:

got one for work a few weeks ago, the only fault I've found is the horrible ring tones on it, though I'm told I can get some other ones on it (like ring-ring?) Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Sodium, mercury or metal halide discharge lamp. The light colour can tell you which,

meow2222

It's not mercury -- mercury doesn't need an ignitor. (Neither does low pressure sodium.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On 14 Jul 2007 23:21:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) mused:

If he read the rest of the thread he'd see exactly wehat it was.

Reply to
Lurch

I've got one too - but it wasn't easy finding one.

Now I'm almost wishing there were a camera with it, the results are very, very good for candids.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mine makes my thigh tremble - because I keep it in my left hand pocket. Can't hear the 'ring' tone thankfully :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Like a bicycle you mean? I can programme a bicycle. Cool! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to bin that second hand one I bought the other day with effing seat post problem and get a Bicycameral.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Why can't you get a camera with a built in phone?

Reply to
John

Don't ask me, I don't make the things :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher