Office rewiring

Hi,

The wiring in our office is a bit of a mess wih mains extenders, phone extensions & netorking cables.

I've been told that you can get a single unit that can be screwed to the back of a desk that combines a mains socket, network socket and phone socket.

I've hunted all over but can't find such a thing. Do they exist & can anyone direct me to a website that stocks them.

Many thanks

Reply to
lardy999

Dunno about a single unit, but you can buy a standard size faceplate which takes 'keystone' sockets for RJ-45 (network) and BT (phone) plugin sockets in any combination.

You could put one of these and a 13A socket onto a dual (not double) box, but since you are supposed to run mains and signal cables in separate trunking (or separate channels in the same trunking) it can be a bit of a fiddle.

Can you run wall mounted trunking with all sorts of sockets on it all round the room? That's neatest, but not cheapest...

Reply to
PC Paul

You could try Videk at:

wide range of accesories for computer and network systems.

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

That sounds a bit like the all-in one type of surge protector that is like a four way mains adaptor with built in sockets for phone (modem etc, RJ45 plug and co-axial socket). However this will still entail having a phone and network lead going into the adaptor (usually the in/out sockets are next to each other. They are rather expensive - around the £40-£45 price range I think.

Roger

Reply to
romic

Maplin do

I think I also saw such a beast at Homebase, but don't remember the price. If you need more, you can get 10-socket 13A extenders (but no 'phone etc) at Maplin:
Also consider IEC extenders, which take less space, as at
While you're about this project, you might also consider intelligent strips which turn off all the accessories when you turn off the computer. There was some discussion about them here recently, at
I don't see the one mentioned on the Maplin site.

We used to screw extension sockets to the modesty screens of our office desks to keep cables off the floor.

Caveat: It's usually possible to undercut Maplin.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

Thanks for the info. A local office equipment supplier is going to forward me a price list for all in one sockets. I'll post the web address if I get one.

Reply to
lardy999