OFF TOPIC: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

Hello all.
The occupiers of the next door house (it's been sold some months ago to a property investment company, and is awaiting refurbishment) have been leaving many bags of rubbish in the area that used to be the front garden. I did speak to them once before about it; and also put a note through their letter box a couple of days ago, because there was a bad smell coming from it. Anyway, those bags of rubbish are still there. P.S. They have a large van, and could easily take them to the nearest dump, _as they have done previously_.
To come to the crux of the matter:
I got in touch with my local council to report a possible health hazard. They informed me that they could do nothing, as it was a private residence, and not a council-owned one.
So I got in touch with the fire department (fire brigade) to report a possible fire hazard. I was informed that they could do nothing; as it was a private residence, and the occupiers were at liberty to do as they pleased. I suggested that they could just _advise_ these occupiers about a possible fire risk; but no, I was told that "their hands were tied" and that they coudn't even do that. It was suggested that the nearest thing that could be done was to distribute some leaflets locally, but that was unlikely to be done. Have you tried to get your local fire depatment's phone number? I don't think that it's listed (like the police stations). I had to get in touch with their headquarters, in the first place.
Sylvain.
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

This is literally rubbish. Phone the local Environmental Health and tell them you wish to report a statutory nuisance caused by an accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance.
http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/275207/275504/?version=1&lang=_e
Sairey

Thanks. I will certainly get in touch with that department.
Sylvain.
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

You got in touch with the wrong people? try *Enviromental Health* and report sightings of *rats*
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

And used syringes. You're worried about kiddies playing in the garden when the house is unoccupied.
Owain

That's no way to talk about the neighbours.
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Too right it is,people can do without this sort of vermin in the neighbourhood. :-)
its not houses they should be living in,but pigsty's
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Guy King wrote:

OH yes it is...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bit early for panto isn't it?
Owain
Owain wrote:

Oh no its not!
--
Cheers,

John.

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE wrote:

On a similar note, I live next door to what can only be described as "Mr Trebus no2" very overgrown garden strewn with rubbish, and the house is in a state of disrepair. I might sound a bit snobbish but it looks very bad next to our house (semi) we live in a small village 50 or so houses and next door sticks out like a sore thumb, with most people coming here for the first time asking "how long has next door been empty"!!
I have heard in the dim and distant past that there is such a thing as a local council order to keep houses in a certain state of repair, anyone know of it?
No point in talking to the guy, as the wheel is turning but the hamster is long dead!! and he is usually pissed out of his mind half the time. Window pane blew out four months ago and he got round to replacing it last week!! Lucky I'm not thinking of selling as it would probably knock a few thou off.
Staffbull wrote:

If the property is dilapidated to the point of uninhabitability or structural instability they can serve a compulsory repair notice.

Social work? ASBO? Petrol bomb?
> Window pane blew out four months ago and he got round to

You /might/ have a claim against him for the reduction in value to your property, especially if he's the other half of your semi.
Owain

There are limits. ASBO and petrol bomb are pretty acceptable. But I doubt he deserves a 'social worker' - cruel and unusual punishment.
Owain wrote:

I dont think its structuraly unsafe, there are a fair few slates missing off the roof which in my opinion need repacing or damage could be done to the timbers, knowing my luck he'll get a full re roofing grant and I've been chasing one for five years, F'ing Anglesey council !! corruption abounds
Staffbull wrote:

Ah..this is where you get canny.
Buy him regular crates of whiskey, and when he dies from cirrhosis, your house will immediataly leap in value...
<complaint about rubbish in neighbours garden>
Why the subject line? Why do you think this is "political correctness gone mad"? Or are you of the same opinion as me, viz anybody who uses that phrase without their tongue in their cheek is a bit barking?
And FWIW the fire brigade are entirely the wrong people to contact about this.
clive

I could have said "Human rights gone crazy" I suppose, or something similar. I was very surprised that the local authorities seemed unable to help me sort out this matter. The fire brigade spokesman admitted that "their hands were tied", and that people could do what they liked on their own property, even if they caused a fire risk.

I disagree. These bags of rubbish occupy three quarters of the front garden space, and are no more than two feet away from the front of the house. I admit that I was prepared to do whatever I could to get rid of this eyesore (yes, this is my main concern), but I'm quite sure that my approaches to the local council and fire department were perfectly _valid_.
Sylvain.

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:56:48 UTC, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"

Try the local paper?

You may misagree, but it didn't actually get you anywhere, did it...?

Exactly. And this is what prompted me to "sound off" here.