[off topic] Glow in the dark alarm clock

I don't know about that but we have an alarm clock that displays the time in red on the ceiling of our bedroom. it's not bright enough to disturb our sleep but it's great if you wake in the night and want to know what timwe it is.

See:

Jonathan

Yes, my grandfathers old watch... I found it very useful when I built a Maplin geiger counter kit ~20 years ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and you have to put up with the released radon-222 gas! Part of the safety advice (below link) is not to keep it on your bedside table.

RobertL

Why ever not? They work, I have one. Clearly you can't say the same about everything at poundland but if Argos can sell 'em for =A32.50 then =A31 is probably about the right price.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Battery !=3D digital.

Just get an anlog one with luminous hands.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I am surprised that there is nothing like this available. It shouldn't be that hard or that expensive to design something that has a small photovoltaic cell to charge a small battery during the day, even from ambient light, and then dimly light a set of LEDs when dark using a low-power circuit to generate a low mark/space ratio driver to conserve power.

Not done the sums though so I could be way out.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

There are very few battery clocks that don't use a crystal and a *digital* divider to keep the time.

Reply to
dennis

snipped-for-privacy@q21g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

There are some, but that's not really relevant, other than Dennis trying to twist the argument for his own ends, again.

The terms analog and digital, in refererence to clocks, usually refer to the display. I don't give a shit what technology is used to keep the time so long as it meets my needs for accuracy.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

day for over 25 years.

elfin softeees

Reply to
djc

In message , Man at B&Q writes

I have a radio clock which projects on the bedroom ceiling

works for me

and don't forget that clocks change this weekend

Reply to
geoff

Is the back made from asbestos?

Reply to
geoff

OH MY GOD! The British have their version of our Dollar Store.

ROTFLMAO

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Actually we go one better - 99p stores :-)

Reply to
Dave Saville

And these stores are stocked with items from which former colony?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm not aware that China (or at least the vast majority of it) was ever a British colony.

Where else did you think all that cheap tat comes from?

Reply to
Andrew May

Not entirely. Some time ago (perhaps now 10 years) I wanted such a watch. I went through a number (agreeing with the supplier they'd come back to him if they were not really "luminous") till I tried a Sekonda. The hands were luminescent but *the dial was properly luminous*. So I wrote to Sekonda, asking how they managed this and whether they could source luminous hands. They could and did; I could not have had better service. When years later it broke they fixed it FOC, and told me that they had also replaced the battery as a courtesy.

I thought their slogan was a joke, but it's been absolutely right IME: "Beware expensive imitations".

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

USA of course! Also known as New China as they now own you. Pound stores are the only ones that are increasing. Everything else is closing. Even the charity shops are closing, they can't get enough stock.

Reply to
harry

Dave Saville :

The best one I've seen lately was boasting "Everything from a pound!". Methinks they Just Don't Get It.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I have a relative that is upper middle management of a global electronics manufacturing company. One of their main plants is in the USA and is quite busy and profitable. The big electronics devices they manufacture are in high demand AND one of their biggest locations where they ship is mainland China. Imagine that: a USA-based manufacturing plant shipping electronics to China.

Reply to
Nonny

Hong Kong and India perhaps?

TDD