Odd MWay gantry sign messages

On the way home from work today I say

NOTTS REDUCE TRAVEL

and further north

SOUTH YORKS REDUCE TRAVEL

Why?

Reply to
ARW

to try to slow the spread of Covid-19 - with too few characters

Reply to
Robin

And Derbyshire seem not to be bothered. You pass through there before Notts and again after Notts.

Reply to
ARW

Tier 3? Or maybe those counties want to discourage unnecessary travel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Use Either Lane" would permit drivers to all use just the left hand lane or just right hand lane, should they so choose. There might be some reason why they might do this, leaving the other lane empty.

"Use Both Lanes" encourages them to do just that, to drive in the emptier lane and so even out the traffic flow. This would increase the distance between vehicles allowing faster average speeds etc.

michael adams

michael adams

Makes a change from the seasonal "don't drink and drive" but with the pubs all shut in those counties that isn't an option this year.

Nottingham and South Yorkshire are both tier 3.

Interestingly London is still tier 2 despite having Covid levels higher than many of the big northern cities now in tier 3. I wonder why?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Why do motorway signs in Wales show the time (at least, when not displaying a message)? Or should that ask why signs in England don't show the time?

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Its partly a mindset thing - the person choosing the wording it treating all the motorists as a group or class rather than individuals. Whereas the person reading it is taking it as a personal instruction, where is no longer makes sense.

I recall someone relating a case at an airport where a sign near the check-in that said "Will passengers please ensure they have their passports and boarding cards ready". When someone pointed out that "I only have one passport and boarding card" they still did not understand what was wrong with the sign.

Reply to
John Rumm

to prove they haven't crashed?

there's one gantry sign on the A46 that's been displaying flashing pixels and random corrupted fonts for over a year.

Reply to
Andy Burns

'cause it came out of lockdown 2 in in Tier 2 and the review of tiers isn't due for another week(ish) and presumably any changes won't be implimented for another week after that. Giving a) the masses in those areas scheduled to go up a level plenty of time to have get together before they do and b) jolly virus another fortnight to spread aided by a)...

I see that the national numbers are turning upwards again after the drop frome lockdown 2...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

polygonum_on_google used his keyboard to write :

Does Wales have motorways now?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Some, of course, responding, that some will, some won't.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

It seems perfectly acceptable to display the time and, yes, it does give a very simple way of checking. So the other part of my question, why not in England? (I don't know about signs in Scotland.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Maybe because each unnecessary sign (or bit of information on it) is a distraction that increased their cognitive load.

Reply to
John Rumm

The M4 has been in operation ever since the first Severn Bridge was opened. (in 1966!)

Reply to
charles

Signs that instruct drivers collectively can be problematic, my favourite is "Use Both Lanes" How are you supposed to respond to that? Shouldn't it be "Use Either Lane"?

Reply to
Graham.

charles brought next idea :

Thanks, I always forget that bit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

polygonum_on_google was thinking very hard :

Around here, they seem by default to show how many minutes to a destination or a junction ahead.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I'd like to see

BERKS REDUCE TRAVEL

Reply to
Scion

Ambiguous. It could mean

When in Nottinghamshire, LOSE weight and keep on travelling.

Reply to
Andrew