Occupational Lenses

I recall it tricky when driving into a multi story carpark.

I used to have glass photochromics, and the colour changing stuff was throughout the glass so it looked darker where the glass was thicker.

The plastic ones I've had since have a photochromic coating so there isn't any such effect.

Reply to
Max Demian

I thought photochromic lenses were decidedly *not* for driving?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought that's because they don't work inside cars as the windscreen blocks the UV that causes the transition.

I once had Drivewear varifocals. Drivewear works inside cars. I had no problem with car parks, tunnels etc as 75% ain't all that dark. I might these days.

Reply to
Robin

I'm pretty certain that my current lenses are plastic rather than glass. That might explain the 'slow to clear' situation. But it doesn't bother me.

Reply to
charles

Even when kissing Liz's feet ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's what I thought - until I sat reading in my living room, side-on to a big picture window, on a bright, sunny day. The lens nearest the window darkened, the other one did not.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most modern windscreens use laminated glass with a film in the sandwich that blocks UVB and most of the UVA.

Reply to
Robin

Who said that? Never had a problem except as described. (In the days of toughened rather than laminated windscreens, polarised sunglasses showed odd effects.)

Reply to
Max Demian

Thanks to all for the viewpoints. I have a little used pair of distance glasses I think I shall have re-glazed and give it a whirl.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim White

It depends what you mean by ‘worked’.

NAC is only effective on immature cataract, but by the time you see the doc and get bumped up to ophthalmology with a complaint of blurry/sparkly/cloudy/double vision, you might have had cataract developing for 20 years, so NAC won’t be effective and it won’t be offered.

Up to that point you might never realise that you have immature cataract, and so won’t be using NAC at a time when it’s most effective.

Reply to
Spike

There's another possibility - there's no profit in them, so nobody is willing to spend the money on the trials.

It looks to me as if the early data is quite interesting, and I'd like to see more. But nobody is doing the work. Right now - I don't know.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Six months ago I had my eyes checked in the local eye unit, my vision at the time being logMAR 0.12 (6/7.9 on the old scale). I’ve had to wear glasses since getting measles when I was six.

Taking the view that it would be nice if this could be improved, and essentially with nowhere else to turn, I started taking non-alcoholic eye drops of homeopathic Cineraria Maritima, with no expectations. It did get rid of ‘dry eye’, for which I was grateful.

A few weeks ago I was called for another checkup. This time my vision was logMAR -0.1 (6/4.8 on the old scale).

In the 70+ years I’ve been wearing glasses, I have never before had an improvement in vision. If this carries on, I’ll soon have fighter-pilot eyesight.

If anyone is tempted to try this, *do* *not* use the alcoholic version.

Cineraria Maritima (non-alcoholic version) is available on Amazon and doubtless other outlets. A pack of 5 x 10ml droppers is less than £19.

HTH

Reply to
Spike