Occupational Lenses

Im toying with the idea of getting these as a reglaze for intermediate (computer) and reading. Any gotchas?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim White

How old are you?

Reply to
RDS

Seventy three!

Reply to
Jim White

I don't even know what they are in any case. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I hadn't heard of them, they sound like a variation on varifocals, but with shorter range, e.g. between reading and TV distance, or between smartphone and talking to people round a pub table, rather than the full range between needlework and star gazing?

Could be useful, but I can see you might end up with a pair for 1m, another for 2m, another for 3m, having a computer pair and a driving pair in enough hassle already

Reply to
Andy Burns

You'd tend to end up with a pair that work for let's say between 30cm and 1m so not great for walking around in but good for sitting at a desk.

You can never have 1 pair of specs that works for everything once you reach a certain age.

Reply to
RDS

For many years I had varifocals and a pair of what were called, even more confusingly, "interview" lenses on a string around my neck. (Yes, they called me "six-eyes." :-) ) The latter covered quite short range to computer screen distance plus a bit. They were perfect for working in the pharmacy at the computer and on the dispensing bench, but were no use for general use. The varifocals for general use were useless on the computer as the filed of view at that range was not wide enough. This worked fine for a long time.

When my vision changed slightly for the better, I discovered that I could get varifocals that covered the whole range and had a wide enough field of view to cover computer use at screen range. The snag? They were the top of the range Varilux lenses and cost a mint (in the £400 to £500 region.) However, it was so much more convenient that in the end I went down that route.

The answer, therefore to your comment about multiple pairs is that in almost all cases two pairs will cover it - but one will suffice if you can spare the cash.

Reply to
Bob Henson

I have a single vision pair that's designed for screen use at arms length, usually ok for checking messages on phone too, unless in a dingy pub with pupils wide open.

Yes, my distance pair are good for driving (though noticeable that they're sharpest on bright sunny days due to the opposite effect on pupils) but sometimes in social settings I find people are "too close" and I end up a bit cross-eyed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I tried varifocals once (not the super expensive version) and wasn't over the moon with them, that was when I got the "intermediate" pair for computer use and distance pair for everything else, but since covid and now working from home most of the time, the intermediate pair have become the "norm" even though they're not ideal away from a desk, and the distance pair are more or less just for driving and subsequent use away from home.

I've been thinking for months I ought to re-visit the optiquacks ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have varifocals but found them not great for reading in bed so at my opticians advice I got a pair of reading glasses. They do the job

Reply to
fred

Specsavers have given up on me:-)

Last two checks failed to produce any income as my eyes seem to have stabilised. Ok on a daylight number plate test *officer* but slight astigmatism makes glasses essential for night driving and I wear bi-focals to read the dashboard instruments.

Reading glasses on a string snag readily with my activities:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have to use varifocals for driving since they moved dashboards closer to drivers. Even in the car I've had for 10 years :(

Reply to
Robin

One of the advantages of mine is that I can now see distance and the dashboard clearly when I'm driving.

Regular visits are a good idea anyway. As they are free for old geezers like me, there's no reason for me not to go at least once a year. I would also recommend Retinal Imaging every couple of years, albeit you have to pay for that (about £30). My results have always been fine, but I know a couple of folk who have been saved a whole lot of trouble by early diagnosis of problems. There may be additional benefits with opticians who have the machinery - they are generally more up to date and offer a better service in general. That, of course, is not necessarily the case - but in my experience it has been very much the case.

Reply to
Bob Henson

My single vision distance lenses cover from the dashboard to the horizon pretty ell (for now).

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've a pair of 'computer specs' (as defined by the optician) that work for everthing except very close up (when I take the specs off) and distance (distance specs, 3m+). Many times I've set off driving wearing them . . .

Also good for DIY - big 'Michael Caine' style. Well, better than nothing.

Reply to
RJH

I do, but with my very strong prescription, I only have to move the glasses slightly up or down my nose to go from distance to reading.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I think mine started them as +1, but they adjusted them to +1.5 (or was it +1.25 can't remember) when I said they weren't quite right, I literally have my monitor at arms length.

All my life I've taken my glasses off for close work.

Easy to do

Reply to
Andy Burns

You are the only person I have encountered who accepts that the pupil and iris of the human eye affect depth of field.

Bill

Reply to
wrights...

Indeed. I have three. Two are bifocals set to infinity at the top, and car dashboard/computer screen at the bottom.

The second set is infinity at the top, book reading at the bottom The third are monofocals set to around 6" for things like threading needles or inserting small grub screws etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It took me quite a long time to learn to drive with varifocals as they distort my perception of what I see when driving through a narrow gap.

I eventually learnt in the USA where the roads are wider and I got fed up with having to change glasses to look at a map.

Reply to
Michael Chare