Obvious scam

An ad link on Ebay pages, which links to -

You are then invited to fill in a survey form, with then 3 chances to win an Iphone 11. You always win the Iphone 11, it then takes you to another page, where you are expected to fill in your credit card details (assume) so they can charge you £1 for your phones delivery.

I'm surprised Ebay allow such a scam on their website, or maybe they don't even know.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Thanks to ad-flinging networks, it's impossible for most sites to know what appears under their banner.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I hope you told them. Unlike FB, they're quite good at removing scams.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :

Ebay looked into it and they say the link is from my browser, no from Ebay. Any ideas how to proceed?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Try a different browser and see what you get. It can be that you have some kind of add replacement worm on the machine. After all if its possible to use add blocking its just as possible to have it redirect to another site.

Try it from other computers and maybe a mobile device as well. If the add is still the same I'd suggest its Ebay who are talking out of their bums. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Malwarebytes is pretty good at expunging this kind of stuff.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes it's 2021 and you need to get with the program. Firefox (or forks) plus uBlock Origin, NoScript and Ghostery. Disable all the scripting s**te as a 1st step and slowly enable the minimum to make the web site work.

Yes it makes browsing harder but you should be less likely to get scammed. But if you are already clicking on adverts being displayed your probably your own worst enemy and there's little hope for you.

Reply to
mm0fmf

I have 4 plug ins on all of my browsers (edge, Chrome and firefox)

and they are

Duckduckgo essentials Ghostery Privacy Badger (from EFF) uBlock Origin

On my mobiles I use DuckDuckGo broswer, Firefox focus and Ghostery browser (the above 4 plugins are not available on Android.)

Thankls for the tip on NoScript, I will look at that.

Ublock can disable javascript On Linux that's all I need

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, saw that one myself. Wasn't on ebay tho, it was emailed to me.

Reply to
Fred