O T USB Record Decks

Audacity does quite a good job of detecting the silences between tracks.

You may also want to consider getting a phono to usb converter such as this one.

'll probably be quicker and simpler than using tape

Reply to
OG

In message , airsmoothed writes

the correct 47k impedance to the phono cartridge, so it might not always sound as good as it should. Also, it uses A to D converters that apparently are fixed at 48kHz, which seems an odd, if fairly standard, choice for equipment that is likely to end up with the CD sample rate of

44.1. I have no idea where the sample rate conversion occurs, but nowadays one needs to be aware that Windows 7's sample rate conversion is known to be broken.

The advice from others to use a hi-fi amp and allow plenty of time reflects my experience.

Reply to
Bill

I don't think (certainly hope not) the O/P was proposing to record to tape and then playback to PC, merely to passthrough the tape player ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, this was more recent - probably similar vintage to the KA 3020...

Reply to
John Rumm

Sound advice.

My master copies are in WMA lossless. Someone mentioned .WAV but AFAIK there's no provision for metadata tags in that format so I'd avoid it.

Software to find the gaps for you is more trouble than it's worth IMO. Get a decent free audio editor such as Audacity or Goldwave, and DIY.

I hesitate to mention this in a DIY group but there are companies that will do the job for you at a price. They have better equipment and experience than you, e.g.

and others.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I think some software allows you to play the LP (33 rpm) at 45rpm or even 78rpm and reduce it down in software.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An LP played at 78 rpm would approximately double the highest frequencies. Very few cartridges could reproduce these. And software can't recreate what isn't there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

look on torrent search and see if its already been done and can be downloaded. Ignore the cr@p about it being illegal to download, it isn't. Make sure you restrict the upload bandwidth to the minimum as it is illegal to upload the stuff and you don't want to upload a whole LP.

Reply to
dennis

Very few cartridges can mechnically follow such high frequencies and will do a good job of smoothng out the groove so they're never a problem again. 33 to 45 is just about doable, but getting the response back to flat is "fun".

Reply to
John Williamson

Not in any universe I have been in, it doesn't.

But the

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Stupid advice - well worth the money paid for it.

Reply to
Jim Newman

a) It depends where you are. (b) You ignore the fact that for you to download, at least one person is breaking the law (By your interpretation) by copyng and uploading.

Strictly speaking, in the UK, as the law currently stands, it is illegal to make *any* form of copy of any copyright work. No photograph of a recent painting/ artwork/ photograph/ piece of grafitti, no recording of buskers without consent and payment of mechanical royalties to the writer and publisher and performance royalties to the talent, no picture of modern buildings from a non-public place. It has been held, though not in the UK as far as I know, for a shop window display to be copyright of the shop.

And no copying of vinyl records or 78s (With very few exceptions) or CDs to listen to in your car.

Not that anyone cares, really, and it's been reported the law is about to change anyway.

Reply to
John Williamson

48k is IIRC the correct speed for DAT tape (remember that?) minidisc and some TV formats.

What you want to do is pull it in at 88.1k (if you can) or some other multiple, and at at least 20 bits. Postprocess for clicks and hiss, normalise, _then_ down-sample to CD.

And yes, it takes B****y ages.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Can you really not get the tracks from irc ?

Reply to
brass monkey

Yes, it does. It totally confuses people not familiar with it. The input switch selected input is just directly connected to the amp input along with the output of the mag cart preamp, hence you can use an input as an output for taping. More modern kit tends to mute the mag preamp output when not used.

Reply to
NT

not it isn't. You select the input sockets OR the output of the mag preamp.

NEVER is there ANY point in leaving the preamp connected - it is noisy and if its got anything lugged in its gonna be LOUD.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In nice equipment that holds true. A whole lot of corners were cut in the 50s, and I've played with kit that left inputs unswitched. Leaving the phono unswitched saves a few pence on switchgear, and the resulting extra noise is never noticeable in practice.

nonsense, the 50ks keep it happy.

NT

Reply to
NT

I have certainly seen the reverse, where you can play an old 78 on a 33 or 45 rpm deck and adjust later. Doing it the other way may lose you some top end.

Reply to
John Rumm

And the other way, some bottom end. You don't get owt for nowt. Although of course with 78s, you may have little option given turntables with that speed are more rare. But you do still need a coarse groove stylus. An LP one will tend to 'bottom out'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Audacity does the speeding up well enough for some home recorded discs from

1943, even though the postman had folded one.

I thought 78s were depth modulated with some sort of automatic gain control to compress the track and stereo 33 were modulated with one channel on each side of the track? If so a stereo nedle with more side ways bias might work??

AJH

Reply to
andrew