O/T: Rearranging a mathematical equation.

(I also posted this in uk.tech.digital-tv but the loving sentiment is the same)

Hello all,

Please forgive what must seem like a pointlessly trivial question to many of you, but I am not overly confident with mathematics (and I trust this group!) and would like to learn about...

Arctan!

I have a mobile phone with a particular camera on it which claims to have a field of view of 188 degrees, and a focal length of

1.66 mm. I would like to calculate the sensor width from these figures.

Field of view = 2 x arctan (sensor width / (2 x focal length))

so

118 = 2 x arctan (S.W. / 3.32)

then by the magic of magic I presume:

59 = arctan (S.W. / 3.32)

But then what? If the brackets weren't involved I'd have a better idea, but they are, so I don't.

And what about the arctan operator when juggling things about? Is it like square root and square?

If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful. It is only curiosity, nothing more urgent than that. (Nokia 7.2 wide angle lense, if anyone is wondering.)

Thank you in advance,

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste