O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s

And the cost to the NHS of running the service is much more than subsidising a daily bus service.

A lot of public stage carriage services here and where I used to live until last year carry schoolchildren using free council passes. Some of these services are subsidised by the council apart from the revenue from the passes. Dedicated school buses are, as you say, not available for public use.

That too.

Reply to
John Williamson

My mother in law gets only 28 days. It's a pain if she comes to visit, out of phase with the repeats. We have to do a temporary registration here and then wait ages to get her in for a consultation and finally a prescription.

I get 84 days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

How d'ye manage that ???

I'm on 28. But by judiciously repeating a day or two early for long enough, I am now a month ahead, precisely to cover holidays, them being out of one or other med, etc etc.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Bloody ridiculous for most medicines. Indeed, the MHRA expressly say that prescriptions should be for 84 days (or more, I guess):

"Levothyroxine should be prescribed and dispensed in quantities covering three months supply, where appropriate, in order to address issues of continuity of supply and also to improve convenience to patients."

polygonum

*** for my medicine ***
Reply to
polygonum

You over estimate the density of hospitals in the UK that have out patients departments. If the consultants and her team didn't come to the hospital 25 miles away I would be going to one 50+ miles away.

So two cars doing the 50 mile round trip instead of one?

I go every 6 months, there are three or four other people in this locality that have the same condition. This is just one condition of the many that are out there that require regular clinic visits. The clinic I attend is run every Tuesday, all day, seeing 30+ patients. This is a rural area, I'd expect the vast majority of those patients to have travelled 10 miles or more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Intelligent staff at the university medical centre!

Reply to
Bob Eager

My condition is "notifiable", ie I have to tell the DVLA. They reissue my driving licence for, currently, 3 years after contacting my consultant and getting a "Yes, he is OK to drive" response. I have just over a year left on the last 3 year issue. It's not so much having a car as being able to use it.

ICBA'd to respond to further posts that contain bad language.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

replying to Mick IOW, Marion Meekings wrote: I remember it well I was 18 and working hard to survive it all. But we dI'd it as a great British nation would do. We prepared ourselves for it. We mainly had Coal fires although coal was limited then . My poor old was 58 then and worked in a powerful station he would collect any wood wherever he could to keep us warm and have hot water. My sister lived in a Tower Block 22 floors high they lived on the top floor with 2 very small babies. We had to organise our times but it was fun, candles and conversation our own entertainment kettles on the back boiler for a lovely cuppa and bread toasted by the fire. . The bedrooms had ice on the inside of the windows so mum and dad put a parafin heater in the room before we went to bed. Even now when I smell paraffin it takes me straight back to them times. Dad played a mouth organ and mum and us kids use to sing along. I actually miss them days

Reply to
Marion Meekings
3 hrs on 3hrs off I remember it .
Reply to
Marion Meekings

Does this go back a while as a thread? Where I worked we had a generator, here I had several old car batteries and a battery light and tv.

The parafin heaters were great but oh the condensation. Note that shops nowadays would not cope, neither would banks they rely on their leccy and internet connections too much. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Goes back to 2014 Brian. The d*****ad who posted it thought it was "fun" and misses those days. This bellend had not seen her father arrive home from a 12 hour shift, walk into a cold dark house and not eat a hot meal. Land fit for heroes my backside.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Not soft enough for you then?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

What?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Sounds like your body would not cope.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I was there and I did cope. You could not have handled it. Are you really that stupid to have missed the point of my comment? Perhaps I did not take into account your Asperger's Syndrome when I made the comment? Would you like me to explain it to you word by word?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You said it wasn't fun.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I find it amusing that the person in here with almost as much OCD as Simon accuses someone else of being ill.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Where?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I'm not having a go at you. But we both know the truth.

Social interaction People with Asperger syndrome often have difficulty 'reading' other people - recognising or understanding others' feelings and intentions - and expressing their own emotions. This can make it very hard for them to navigate the social world. They may:

a.. appear to be insensitive b.. seek out time alone when overloaded by other people c.. not seek comfort from other people d.. appear to behave 'strangely' or in a way thought to be socially inappropriate. They may find it hard to form friendships. Some may want to interact with other people and make friends, but may be unsure how to go about it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire