O T: Defrag

If you have not fixed the size before, then the PageFile will have "chosen" its own size already. I normally look to see what it is currently, add about another 1GB for headroom and fix at that. You can reduce the headroom if you have a smallish disk but the current value will be a reasonable approximation to the most you use so you probably want a little extra above the current size.

The key thing is to set the min and max the same before all the defragging - a fragmented PageFile is a complete performance killer on Windows.

BTW, unless your computer is of the "latest and greatest" variant, eBay is often a good source of cheap "upgrade" memory. WinXP can handle up to 4GB (if you have the slots to put it into) and even going from 1GB to 2GB will make quite a difference (after defragging too).

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Smart Defrag 2 works well, has a few extra options and is free.

So it starts with the disc layout designed to maximise the possible seek lengths? That seems... odd.

Sounds just like Windoze. No better, no worse.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You could resize2fs it down (works with ext3 and probably ext4 too) and then resize2fs it back up again...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Just deleted 21,00 email from my machine and think it is time for a defrag.

Running XP but defrag in XP is a pile of poo.

Anyone recommend a decent defrag program please. Preferably that is FREE

Jim G

=============================

Dave Whitney's defrag program:

need some spare disk space as it does what Win defrag should have done in the first place: moves everything away from the beginning of the disk, then copies it back file by file.

Reply to
Scion

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread. I have downloaded several of the suggested programs and am currently trying defragler from pinform.com (as above). After deleting 21,000 emails I left the program running overnight and my PC now has speeded up no end.

Thanks again to everyone

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Can't you just home on its own partition and do your work on cooler running?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I just bought a2nd hand Dell with only two memory slots running XP. Only one cradle for an hard drive too but at least now I can get rid of Vista from my lap top and put a real operating system in.

The Dell cost 60 quid and boots up faster than my old Linux . Mind you it only had the OS on it when I got it.

I was so surprised and delighted that I hadn't realised with no Antivirys, firewall, all the basic (minimum 3rd party-ware needed for use =3D 6 to 12 programmes not counting an office suite) that I forgot to try and time it.

Mind you once booted up int turned back into a frog. Help9ing it cross the street to find my dongle and get the thing online ...

If I was in charge of the world I wouuldn't hurt Microsoft management half as cruelly as I would all the dick heads whose add on are required.

Without them no lamer would ever use the Windows ?abuse formula? What is a polite word for s**te?

Ah forget it. Shite is too polite as it is... The only problem is that freeware can't compete with monopolies who actually make the hardware. They are in the same league as politiicans, investment bankers and secret services.

OK rant over. I must get my Windows box up.

(Would you believe I need an ISO burner tool for one? I can't. OK I knew I would have to find a DVD tool...

Ah f*ck!!!!!!!) FECKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the trouble with Windows key boards, they don't have a suitable exclamation mark for them. OK second rant over...

Oh... Ohohhoooohhhh. FFff...kkk..kkha. Oh.. that was close. Ngh! oh.. FFFF

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

cd burner xp? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

ah, the sounds of a happy windows user

NT

Reply to
NT

Copy contents of disk a to disk b. Simples.

NT

Reply to
NT

Fractionally less simple when

a) it's yer root filesystem or b) It's 4.5TB!!

;-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

Which OS cant be copied? I know xp onward objects to a new root drive, I dont know if copying it back solves that.

Doable, but not quick :) With FAT32 its faster than defragging , I dont know about the more modern FSes though.

I remember once checking a 60G FAT32 disc that was pretty much full and used faily heavily for a couple of years, to find it was only 1.2% fragmented. Since then I've not worried too much about fragmentation.

NT

Reply to
NT

Linux - perfectly possible - just a PITA compared to an online defrag.

Reply to
Tim Watts

But if the 1.2% contains the most heavily accessed files...

I regularly access individual files which are themselves heavily fragmented - something like several megabytes but with thousands of fragments. Mostly NTFS. You can fall asleep waiting for the file to scroll. Copy that same file so that it has just a few fragments and it feels turbocharged. I have even referred to that process (copy, deleted old, rename new back to old name) as poor man's defrag.

Reply to
polygonum

Are you on crack?

Reply to