Not what I was looking for!

I was trying to find Buicks - the DIY store.

Uncle Peter

Fuck's sake!!! Why are these places all closed on a Sunday evening? That's the time when people do DIY! Not in the middle of the week when they're all at work!

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Blame the shop workers' trade unions. Government would have permitted all day opening on Sundays (Easter Sunday excepted), had they not objected.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thatcher was in power when the Sunday trading laws were passed, not known for respecting the wishes of trade unions.

Reply to
mcp

Learn some manners.

Don't speak with you mouth full.

Reply to
ARW

Learn some grammar! [spank]

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Thatcher's only defeat in the House of Commons was the Shops Bill of

1986, which would have removed all regulation on Sunday trading. The main opposition came from Labour, at the behest of the trade unions, but they were supported by 72 Tory backbenchers, representing the Christian Right and the Bill failed by 14 votes. The Sunday Trading Act of 1994 was the 27th attempt to relax Sunday trading laws and that only got through after the Government reached agreement with the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers that Sunday working would be entirely voluntary.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have never much liked unions. What's the difference between someone working all Sunday and all Wednesday? They obviously don't employ the same person 7 days a week.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The Sunday Trading laws we have at present were passed under John Major, around 1994 or so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

SWMBO tells me that Maggie tried to pass Shops Bill 1986 which would have ended govt regulation of Sunday shopping but it was defeated because 72 Tory MPs defied a 3-line whip. It marked her only Commons defeat, apparently.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not my experience in Scotland.

Where many places are open for more that the the English allotted 6 hours.

Reply to
Fredxxx

DIY stores seem to be different.

The English still have that religious bullshit?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

That is because Scotland, with a completely different legal system, never had any law prohibiting Sunday trading.

Reply to
charles

And none of that Easter Sunday nonsense.

Reply to
mcp

Post Offices have a bank holiday almost every Monday. And banks just close because they feel like it.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Scotland didn't have any Sunday trading laws until 2003, when Sunday working was made voluntary.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'm sure when I were a lad (30 years ago) that in Scotland it was illegal to trade on a Sunday afternoon.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Not so, the retailers decided they didn't want to open shops for longer hours on Sundays a couple of years ago. The unions maybe agreed with them.

Reply to
Capitol

Console yourself with the thought that Europe has even more religious public holidays than we do.

Reply to
Capitol

Tesco is open 24/7 here, yet last time I went at 3am, I think there were two customers in there, and one was me.

Reply to
Uncle Peter