Nokia chargers

Thanks all for the comments:

Yep, 'Sten' rings a bell, and in fact I found a reference to it in the archives of this very group.

I might well end up building some as fred suggests. I need quite a stack of shelves of the deeper kind. They probably won't be as cheap as the originals, but with OSB shouldn't be too bad.

Some of my other shelves are of the later Sten variety, I think. I remember noticing the coachbolts were of different sizes and got to investigating. I'll measure them bosth up and post some dimensions. Though I don't remember the shelves being rebated - the lateral pieces are square on both styles IIRC. Could be wrong.

And apologies for hijacking the 'Nokia Chargers' thread. That wasn't my intention, and I hadn't realised it had happeend until sometime later.

Thanks again J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

As someone who used to work for a mobile phone manufacturer I can tell you it was down to both - China and the EU. If I remember dates correctly - 2006 was the date China passed its law and 2007 was when the EU published it's memorandum of understanding and mobile phones are developed on a three year or so cycle so that's why you're seeing more and more phones with micro-USB connectors.

Of course the cynic in me says it's down to the fact that when you buy a new phone in the future you won't get a charger - it'll be an optional extra which means that they can reduce costs but not the price of the handsets.

Reply to
Tony

X +---+---------------------- ... | | shelf timber | +-------+-------------- ... | | | O |
Reply to
Tim Streater

You've got to store them, somewhere.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Yes it does.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In article , The Night Tripper writes

I think I managed 5 bays for 120-150quid when I did my last set. 4 shelves (900x590) per bay using up about a sheet per bay. Bought from B&Q to get free cuts. Their rough sawn outdoorish grade planks were fine for the verticals once hand picked to remove the dross. About a day to run up and build. The earlier ones used basic softwood faced ply for the shelves which is a nicer finish but the OSB ones are ok and the surface hasn't broken up through wear.

I had need to extend an existing set by one bay and was able to bodge that together. I think the shelf depths are the same but the bay widths are different, from memory I had an original shelf at the top and a new one at the bottom which I extended with a metal plates.

Yep, follow up and changing the subject still leaves the 'refs' header which spoils it. Don't know what the new thread hotkey is for your reader.

Reply to
fred

Let's have the same for laptops.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your new phone will have a USB cable supplied with it. Why not simply charge your phone by connecting it via the cable to a USB port in a computer or in a main/usb adapter?

Reply to
Rob

Well, there sort of is.

The EIJA connector is cunningly graded so that you can't plug in a higher-voltage supply than the socket can cope with.

Skipweasel

My new phone did not have a USB cable. It did have a charger, but I like keeping chargers at the various places they may be needed, rather than just having the one, and packing it in my bag.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Unfortunately its not quite as simple as it seems. The phone is not allowed to draw very much current unless it has negotiated this with the host computer. Some phones ignore the rules and take the power anyway, but others do not. The negotiation will usually only succeed if drivers specific to that phone manufacturer have been installed.

Even wall chargers have some surprising behaviours. Originally there was no standard for USB chargers, so there had to be some way of telling the phone using hardware alone that it was OK to draw the full charging current from a simple wall charger. Apple went one way with iPods and Motorola another. The Apple approach was to use a resistor network to set voltages on the D+ and D- signals that would never occur in normal USB operation. The Motorola approach (for Mini-USB) used a 200k pullup resistor to V+ on the sense pin of the mini connector which was originally intended for On-The-Go negotiation (which was itself unaffected by this high value). It was a nightmare trying to design chargers that would work with everything.

Then the Chinese banged the mobile phone manufacturers' heads together and a few months later the USB Consortium proposed a new standard which was very simple and quite elegant but incompatible with both the main de-facto standards (probably so nobody would lose out commercially). All new phones for sale in China would use the new micro-USB connector in conjunction with a new way of sensing wall chargers but still retaining the software negotiation capability for use with PCs.

The wall charger has a link between D+ and D- and if there is no attached cable it must use a USB-A (large flat) socket. Adapter cables can be plugged into this to convert to mini- or micro-USB. If there is an attached cable it must be mini- or micro-USB but for phones in China or the EU only micro USB is allowed. The nice thing about this is that old Apple or Motorola products and their clones can use a modern wall charger by means of an adapter cable fitted with the appropriate resistors.

Once all this was worked out, the EU came up with an identical requirement to bring the smaller manufacturers on board. As already mentioned in this thread, the large manufacturers had already decided what they were going to do as they didn't want to be left out of China.

This is a simplification - for more information read the standards.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Hi Fred Thanks for the info

In case anyone is that interested, here are the sizes of Gorm (old) and Sten (new) shelving uprights.

Gorm: 19mm x 90mm, Coach Screws have head of ~1.5mm AF Sten: 15mm x 90mm, coach screws ~9.5mm AF

Sorry, haven't had time to take the screws out to measure any better than that. Let me know offline if you *really* want to know any other measurements...

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

1.5mm seems unlikely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

oh, all right then, ~10.5mm.

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Will the adaptor cables be clearly marked so as not to be able to be confused with the standard equivalent?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I suspect that the manufacturers would rather we bought replacement equipment, so I doubt that there will be many of these cables around to confuse people.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Mine: 14 x 87. Looks like I have Sten after all, which is satisfactory for me. I use a 10mm spanner.

Reply to
Tim Streater