Noisy Worcester Greenstar 24Ri?

Hi all

Bit difficult to quantify this noise level, but:

Having had a new Worcester boiler fitted October last year I still find it rather noisy. Specifically, the fan when running at full tilt and the condensate run-off noise. Should the condensate drain away with a gloop-gloop-gurgle-gurgle noise?

The previous boiler may have been old, hopelessly undersize and inefficient, but it was far quieter. By the way, the DIY bit was that I spec'd the changes to the system with help from this group so it's all down to me!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

We have the same model, and it's only noisy at full tilt. What do you have the output stat set to? (not sure how much difference it'd make).

We don't notice the noise much as it's installed in a downstairs toilet 'behind' the utility room.

It fills up a reservoir, then occasionally empties in one go. This is to stop a slow trickle freezing and blocking the condensate pipe in cold weather. I guess that accounts for the noise!

Reply to
Bob Eager

My 24i is the same. Horrible little thing, forever whirring and buzzing, and expelling imaginary fumes halfway down the street.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Bob Eager" wrote

Yes, fair comment I suppose. Does sound a bit like a jet at take off when increasing to max fan speed though.

Indicator points about 45 degrees to right i. e. north east (assume you mean the right hand control on the front).

Ours is in the kitchen (as yet uncloaked). May have to put a unit around it when the kitchen is sorted out (next job :( ).

Thanks for that

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Which it does every time it fires up, of course!

Same as ours. I had to increase it a bit in very cold weather, but only for a couple of days.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I thought yours was the non condensing (not Greenstar) version?

Reply to
John Stumbles

It is. Most of the noise is caused by the fan resonating through the sardine can they call the case

Reply to
Stuart Noble

"Stuart Noble" wrote

Exactly! The underside casing "locates" (very loosely) i e sort of clips in place at the back of the Greenstar and has self tappers towards the front. This took some carefully positioned duct tape to eliminate the rattles. Also the flow and return pipes rattled against the rear case (may be the installers' fault to be fair). For these I have wedged some strips of table cover down each side of the pipe (table cover being offcuts of heat resistant stuff used to protect dining tables). So now we are down to: Fan whirr Expansion noise - ticking and clunking Glooping of condensate drain

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Interesting - I had the same rattling/vibration/helicopter taking off sound from ours. I could touch the case with a finger tip and calm it down but I couldn't coax it to stay quiet. Since it is a new build, the developers sent in a guy to look at it. Problem was the kitchen cabinets had been installed around it so the cover cannot be removed without disassembling kitchen cabinets! Fun when it next needs servicing. Mounted an inch lower it would have been fine:( Anyway, he spent an hour fiddling and eventually got rid of the vibration without dismantling anything - I wasn't there so I don't know how he did it - probably wedged something in with a screwdriver. Now we have a smoothe whirring fan - but for how long....

Reply to
AA

"AA" wrote

Even the sound of the fan without any casing vibration I find trying. How much noise does the cupboard succeed in blocking?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The 24i cover has no fixings at all and vibrates mercilessly. I thump it when I'm passing and it stops until the next time. The fan isn't actually that noisy but so high pitched that it's almost more annoying than the cover. So much for Bosch engineering.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It's actually got 2 self tappers (not uncommon for boiler case fixings) at the top and 2 'proper' threaded screws at the bottom, but on an angle so you can get a driver on them but it makes it a PITA to engage and disengage them.

Very noisy with the case front cover off, but much quieter when it's properly seated. I wonder if yours isn't? Should be about par for modern fanned-flue appliances (but noisier than un-fanned dinosaurs).

Depends how it's plumbed.

I wouldn't site one in a bedroom or living room (unless inside a sound-deadening cupboard) but in a kitchen should be OK.

Reply to
John Stumbles