Noisy TRV

I have 3 noisy TRVs as they are fitted on the return instead of the flow. The instructions suggest this should be okay but they buzz as they close. Rather than change ends (requiring 4 joints to be disturbed on each rad) is there any disadvantage in rotating the valve to a horizontal plane - thus putting the flow onto the 'base' of the valve?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Should be fine. Actually, it's a better mounting position for anyone who is going to struggle to bend down to read the setting on the front - I recently installed some in this position for an elderly relative for this reason, so they can read the setting from above.

Make sure it's not sticking out somewhere where it's likely to get knocked or walked into though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Some installation instructions also say it's a better position for the sensor:

Alan Braggins

Noisy valves seem to be an issue a lot. a place where I go has one in a studio, and this means it has to be shut off during recordings. We call it Hissing Sid, well we are little children at heart... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Beware they can't be wacked by a vacuum cleaner being enthusiastically wizzed around.

Reply to
Nospam

Another thought - have the TRVs been fitted without ensuring the boiler has a bypass route for when they all shut off? Is there a radiator which doesn't have a TRV and can't be turned off (lockshield at both ends)?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
?

There is one rad with no TRV and whilst it doens;t have lockshields both ends, it will not get turned off as it is the important hall radiator.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is it a large radiator (which is likely to be set with a good flow through it), or a tiny radiator which might have the lock shield only open a crack (assuming the system has been balanced)?

When the TRVs start making a noise, I would try opening the hall radiator's lockshield, and see if that stops it. Note exactly how far you opened it, so you can set it back to where it was again.

When you have a radiator as the bypass loop, particularly a small radiator, it may be that you have to increase the flow in it above what is ideal for balancing, in order for it to cope with the flow needed to maintain the bypass.

Is there a thermostat in the hall, to prevent the boiler firing when the house is up to temperature?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All TVRs are noisy.

Oh. Hang on. As you were ...

Reply to
Huge

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012, "DerbyBorn" writ:

Where is the thermostat? Are there TRVs on the rads in the room with the thermostat?

Reply to
Percy

Percy wrote in news:wkZSuHDV0paQFw+t@0.0.0.0:

In the hall - across from the non-TRV radiator. Valves on the flow end are quiet. The noisy ones are in 2 bedrooms and these are usually the only ones to normally close.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012, "DerbyBorn" writ:

OK, I only asked because there should not be TRVs in the room with the thermostat.

Reply to
Percy