Advice

Hi

I have a Heatline S30 Boiler ~3 Years old. I dont have any TRV's on my Rads (I have 7 Rads). I was wondering what would be better to spend money on. Fit TRV's to all rads or get a programmale stat. Which would benefit me more and even make my heating system more efficient and obviously save me some money.

Thanks

Reply to
yshaikh01

Well the obvious answer is to do both. Both will save money and improve comfort levels in the house. The programmable stat is very easy to do (20 min job), so you could do that straight away. The rad valves obviously take a bit more work and planning. Remember not to fit a TRV to the rad in the room with the stat.

Reply to
John Rumm

Depends on you system, theres no way we can know. If its all balanced perfectly you dont need TRVs. If OTOH the setup is unbalanceable they wll save money - or in fact cost you, all depends.

A progstat only saves money if youre wiling to settle for lower temps some of the day.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How easy is it to fit valves? We have some fitted (9 rads) but not on others (another 5 rads,, mainly in hallways/small rooms).

E.

Reply to
eastender

What are you saying here ? Having fitted TRVs in the summer and now running the upstairs rooms, apart form the bathroom, at a lower termperature, I am making a decent saving. The only way that could be done by balancing is to adjust each radiator to a different temperature drop and I didn't think that was how balancing was done !

I've also fitted a cheap pragrammable stat and I'm delighted with it. I run it lower during the day ( weekdays only ) and lower still at night.

Next summer it's an improvement to the amount of loft insulation.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

It is one of those jobs that *ought* to be quite easy, but in reality can be a PITA! Much will depend on what valves you currently have, what you plan to fit, and the general state of your system.

You need to drain the system down (at least enough to relieve the pressure in the places you are working). Sometimes you can get a valve in as a striaght swap. However the list of possible gottchas include:

The new valves not having the same dimentions as the old, requiring tweeks to the pipework or rad position to make things fit.

Some valves may require different sized/shaped rad tails, which will mean you need to replace the tails as well. These are not always striaghtforward since there are a number of different ways these tighten (some with a spanner, some with an allen key stuffed up the inside etc).

Then all the usual problems with sized components etc.

Some TRVs will be fussy about which side (i.e. flow or return) they work best on so you will need to choose the right side.

Finally you need to refill (and add more corrosian inhibitor if required).

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice title. To the point and succinct.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Even on a perfectly balanced system they will better cope with limiting house temp when someone leaves the front door open and convinces the room stat that the house is cold.

You often find that the modern stat will keep much better temperature regulation that an old mechanical type however, so even a like for like change can improve comfort and reduce cost simply by eliminating big unwanted overshoots.

Reply to
John Rumm

Best to have both. It might be ideal to have TRVs everywhere and a radio stat so you can experiment to find the best place for it - leaving the TRVs in that area full up. I have my stat in the living area (no TRVs there) and that works well - apart from over Xmas with a house full where the heat from the bodies kept the system off for the rest of the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cannibal feast in the drawing room was it?

Reply to
Matt

Thanks - beyond me but worth getting a quote for I guess, as we don't have a hall 'stat and I'd like to leave the heating on low during cold nights. Or would a simple solution be a hall 'stat linked direct to heating on/off programmer? The hot water cylinder and controls are under hallway stairs.

E.

Reply to
eastender

FEELING BETTER? :(

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

If you have a programmable stat it in effect replaces the functionality of the programmer for the heating. Rather than worry about when you want the heating on or off, simply set the stat so that you have the desired temperatures when you want. So for example, I set ours to an overnight temperature of 16 degrees. Generally this means the heating will not fire at all at night, but it would kick in if it were really cold outside.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm wrote in news:45958d26$0$8726$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

That's what i want... So do I replace the existing programmer (a Honeywell, about 4 yaers old) with one with a stat? Or can i add a stat to the Honeywell? thx

E.

Reply to
eastender

You can usually add a stat independantly of the programmer (the boiler will have dedicated connections for it). The programmer can then be left with the heating set to run all the time, with the stat doing the actual control as required.

If wiring the stat is a pain then you can get wireless stats - you connect the controller to the boiler and position the actual stat anywhere suitable (or even try several places to find the best).

If your house takes a while to heat up then you might find it worth getting an optimising stat. These learn the heat up characteristics of the house and can turn the heating on in advance of a programmed temperature rise to ensure the temperature selected for a given time will be achived at that time, and not some variable period after.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, this looks interesting, as the boiler is a long way from the hall. It's a 4 year old Valliant, which I presume is a suitable candidate.

E.

Reply to
eastender