fitting external thermostat to combi pro's con's

At the moment we have a combi which has its own built in thermostat , i.e. a dial on the front to set heating temperature. a majority of the rads have trv's fitted although at the moment they are either fully on or off if the room is not used. I am thinking of fitting an external thermostat to the boiler but am interested in what benefit I'll get by doing it. At the moment I can see the main one being that I can turn the heating on or off from the hall rather than have to go upstairs to the boiler. Will the external stat provide a more stable heat supply, would the boiler run more efficiently?

Looking at the boiler wiring the thermostat plug just has two wire's so am I correct in thinking that any two wire stat will fit. Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Firstly, the thermostat is now required by law (or an alternative method of achieving boiler interlock). Obviously, the law is not retroactive.

Secondly, the thermostat on the boiler does a very different job to that of a room thermostat. The boiler thermostat selects the temperature of the water, so determines the radiator temperature. The room thermostat turns the boiler off when the room gets too hot.

It will run dramatically more efficiently. You will likely make your money back in under a year, especially as you set your TRVs to off or full. Please set your TRVs to an absolute maximum of 22C. Many people don't realise how they work and try to use them like the old handwheel controls. When possible, it is best to insert the pins on the back that limit movement to prevent others from turning them beyond a reasonable level.

They work by sensing room temperature. The only effects of setting them to max, is that it wastes money and makes the room too hot. The room will not warm up quicker if you set it high, compared to a sensible value. The side effects are purely negative.

Finally, by choosing a programmable thermostat, you get some additional benefits. You can set timings in the comfort (and light) of your lounge (or hall in your case). You can override the setting in the comfort of your lounge. You can set an overnight temperature other than -273C. You can use a predicitive system that knows how cold it is and how long your house took to warm up in the past and turns on the heat a variable amount before the timed setting to compensate for cold or warm days.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle