Need pro's & con's about house

Moving to a new part of country where rancher style homes are common. Looking at one that is a slab floor (concrete pad no crawl space) Any comments on this style of foundation? pro's or con's things to look out for et. thanks for the help

Reply to
Dr. Doctor

Look for cracks in exterior and interior walls. Easy to see if brick is used on the exterior. Pay attention to the material the slab sits on. If it's heavy clay, you can expect slab cracking when the clay hardens when dry and then expands when wet.

Reply to
fatman985

If I were considering a slab on grade house, I'd look at surface drainage - particularly within say 15 feet of the slab edge and then in a lot wide perspective. Water flow from the roof should be directed well away from the house wall.

I would also check for the clearance between siding - or top of slab with brick veneer - and grade. I would want to know if the framing - at least what is in contact with the slab - is pressure treated or borate sprayed for termites and rot. Cracks in the slab can be termite entry points as well as signals of structural problems. Cracks in interior dry wall or exterior brick can signal structural problems.

Tom Baker

Reply to
Tom Baker