Noisy cistern keeps overflowing

We recently had a new bathroom installed, from day one the cistern has been very noisy when filling, I've tried turning down the service valve but this appears to make it louder not quieter. It has a polypipe 'fluidmaster style' bottom entry inlet valve which I believe is supposed to be 'quiet'?

Anyway the cistern has now started overflowing, it does this after maybe 8 out of 10 flushes. I've taken the valve apart and cleaned the diaphragm and seal but no improvement, nor does anything look worn. Can anyone suggest a fix or something to try? Can't seem to find a supplier of spare seals.

If not I'm resigned to installing a new inlet valve which is a pain because of the fancy design of the toilet the gland nut can't be reached with the pan in situ. If i go this route is there any reason not to fit a torbeck valve instead? The fluidmaster style seems overcomplicated for what it's supposed to do. Would a torbeck valve be quieter?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Reply to
Bovvered?

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 13:19:49 +0100 someone who may be Bovvered? wrote this:-

You may have moved the noise from one place to another.

What is the toilet fed by? I guess it is the mains, given the noise and the fashion for feeding things from the mains. That generally means noise, unless things are designed and installed properly. Toilets fed from a storage tank in the loft tend to be quiet.

What pressure is the inlet valve designed for? High (mains) pressure or low? My guess is that it is designed for low pressure. It may be that a restrictor was supposed to be fitted at the inlet for use with high pressure supplies and wasn't. The restrictor may be in the form of a plastic spiral that fits into the inlet or a plastic cone. If you are lucky the spiral/cone is still fitted to the valve and you can install it with relative ease.

Reply to
David Hansen

It's fed directly from the mains, the parts list does show a restrictor and it wasn't left over, so I'm naively assuming the fitter installed it...

Reply to
Bovvered?

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:57:55 +0100 someone who may be Bovvered? wrote this:-

Does the parts list show where the restrictor is located before installation? If so is it still there?

Reply to
David Hansen

Quite, see the "There are no skilled workers left II" thread. It could equally have gone out with the rubbish.

How long ago is "recently"? If it's less than a month get 'em back to fix it for free or only for the cost of a replacement valve if you want to switch to a Torbeck. Bear in mind "Torbeck" is a trade name rather than a type of valve. From your description of cleaning diaphragms rather than washers or nozzles indicated you may already have an equlibrium type valve which should be quiet, provided it has the correct flow restrictor fitted...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For a man who has posted in the "There are no skilled workers left II" thread I'm surprised you've suggested trying to get the fitter back. LOL. Can you imagine the eye rolling, sharp intake of breath and look of complete astonishment when I ask him to come and fix the cistern he didn't install properly? I've still not recovered from the horror of watching him drag the pan across my new laminate floor. No, this is another 'professional' job I'm fixing myself.

I'm sure you're right about the valve type, there's a float that sits in a float holder that pushes up on an actuator. The actuator seals or opens a small air hole on one side of the diaphragm. Seems overly complicated really but I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

Reply to
Bovvered?

Yes, but letting the bugger get away with it isn't going to encourage him to get his act together and do the job carefully and properly the first time. If he's fixing his cockups he's not being paid. The only way to get this across is via his wallet. What you rather do work 5 days and get paid for 5 or work 5 days but only get paid for 4 as your fixing cockups on the other day?

Equilibrium valves fill at full rate until the pressures equalise and the valve snaps shut, unlike a ball valve that fills at full rate then slows down and probably becomes noisy as the washer slowly gets pushed against the nozzle.

I only know Torbeck valves on those the restrictor is a finned insert that goes in the valve stem where the supply pipe connects. Two are supplied HP, LP or if you pressure is really low no restrictor.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice