No hot water...!

Hi

I have just waited about 10 days for an engineer to put in a new pump for my heating system. The boiler comes on and is heating the water (the pipes are red hot). However I am running the hot water taps and the best i'm getting is a weak luke warm. I have not changed any thermostate settings and wondering how long i have to leave it for the tank to get hot?

Cheers

Reply to
Steve

Was this on a British Gas contract?

It should be producing pretty hot water within half an hour at the most even on an older type cylinder.

Do you live in a hard water area? Perhaps the cylinder coil is scaled. That would create the efect you describe. The water will heat eventually but it will take a lot longer than it should

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

With the pump correctly fitted and running about an hour for a hot tank.

With the pump not running a day or two.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I take it the return pipe is also fairly hot, if not then there is still a problem with the circulation which the new pump did not fix. (lack of primary water is a prime suspect).

If the return is going back to the boiler no less hot then coil scaling is the problem. Because the hot water rises in the cylinder then even after 10 minutes or so (certianly after 30 more ) there should be hot HW at the outlet. This would be true if there were severe scaling on an older cylinder.

Reply to
Ed Sirett