No building regs for en-suite - consequences?

err, yes I do & you have to be wary of both & indeed listed building consent.

It is possible that the said bathroom could have needed planning permission and/or listed bldg consent. So can we explore the issue in more detail please?

Poster has modified his bathroom - to what extent is unclear, where does he stand after 3 years have elapsed?

1 building control - can't take court action after 6 months: can't insist on regularisation after 12months, but could take out an injunction (although has never been done apparently because there are iffy legal Qs attached).
  1. Planning control - possibly required if a listed building. What are the time limits here for planning dept action? Is the statement by a poster that retrospective planning apps are now debarred correct? Local planners informed me some years back that they will not take any action after 5 years have elapsed.
  2. Listed Building Consent - almost certainly required if a listed building or in a conservation area. What are the rules here?
Reply to
jim_in_sussex

Bollocks.

The solicitor is paid to give advice not to dictate what his customers do. He may wish to cover his backside, but that's another matter.

There is now so much regulation, that the average home owner wouldn't have a clue if he had falled foul of legislation.

It's one thing if somebody does major structural work and renders a property unsafe.

I seriously doubt whether sale of property will grind to a halt because of a socket installed in a kitchen or even a bog installed in an en suite.

In these areas the risk of problems is very low, which is why insurers will offer indemnity cover and why building control departments don't care after a year anyway.

The only people as buyers who would care about this are the inexperienced first time buyer who might be scared off and the jobsworth.

No it wouldn't.

Most people don't give a toss about this bureaucracy.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Listed building consent not necessarily needed - depends on Listed Buidling Officer views on which aspects of building he deems needing protection.

Have just given a whole list of proposals to our Listed building officer including moving bathroom, reinstating internal walls to original positions, expanding wc to shower room... and he was quite happy with all of it "no need to apply for Listed permission" except for satellite dish on rear wall !

Robert

Reply to
robert

& what happens when jobsworth2 replaces jobsworth1 with a different opinion & says you should have had LBC?
Reply to
jim_in_sussex

A bog installed in a kitchen or a socket installed in an en suite might be less appealing though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain