Building regs and DIY - Petition on no 10 web site

Spotted this - obviously of interest to DIY'ers. (and anyone who just hates the nanny state in general).

Chris

Reply to
chris_at_winton

Typical incompetent confusion between planning and building control.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Done!

Happy Christmas to all.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

I cant see it happening, governments look to increase control to push people into unwanted spends, they dont normally move in the opposite direction. Especially not when theres a safety excuse or real reason, both of which there would be in this case.

Need a more well thought through petition.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ditto

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

What is happening, with the Building Regulations, is that Local/Central Government is moving towards a system of 'self-certification'. In doing so, it's shifting the responsibility for compliance-checking away from 'over-stretched' Council's.

Just my twopenny worth

Reply to
Bypass

Who ends up certifying, householder or a professional they engage? The game is to get people to give as much money to the wealthier sectors of society as poss, and since this also lines up with safety issues in this case, both real and imagined, this approach fits normal government practice like a glove.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Same here

(but with mixed feelings - there are a number of dangerous incompetents out there - but then they wouldn't pay any attention to such things anyway)

Reply to
raden

Don't be silly. I wouldn't trust some builders to do stuff without building regulations approval, certainly not most DIYers. Its all very well saying that (eg.) an opening needs a lintel but who is going to check?

Reply to
dennis

Much too long.

"Governments look to increase control."

There. That's better.

Reply to
Huge

Would you, for example, trust a builder to move a wash hand basin and amend the waste pipe to suit? Yes, I would think so. Well, that task requires Building Regulations approval.

I think you can find a valid point to suit both sides of any argument.

Reply to
Bypass

A year or so back, I asked some colleagues what sort of questions solicitors had asked about conformance to building regs when they were selling their houses. For that sample size of just two, the only building regs the solicitors were interested in checking up on were structural alterations, and underground drainage alterations. There were no questions about replacement windows, boilers, etc. I don't know if this is the norm or not.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you'll find that there have been some significant amendments to the BR's within the past year. Revisions to the Approved Documents typically come into effect on the 1 April.

Reply to
Bypass

Not acording to the head of building control who happens to be my neigbour it doesn't. It may have to meet water byelaws but its not inspected unless you dig underground drains.

Mind you he also told me not to bother with part UP either as it was just too much work for them to cope with. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Some sympathy with both points, but anything which resists the encroaching red-tape is worth a try.

Reply to
Steve Walker

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:47:51 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named Bypass randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

If only...

What happens is that Councils spend time chasing certificates rather than looking after real work.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Still superfluous words.

Take your pick from: "Governments increase" or "Governments control"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , chris_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Nice idea, but don't expect anything to come of it.

The situation behind another petition on there (save our waterways) was the subject of a Prime Minister's Question recently, and despite it being in the top ten petitions Bliar was unaware of the circumstances, so his office obviously pay great attention to what is being placed there.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Ah! April Fools day.

You don't score any points to see that the fools are us :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A good start is to educate the public so the wrong is no longer publicly justifiable, then they have to let it go to maintain votes. However with this particular petition they don t seem to have figured out the solution yet. That one doesnt have a prayer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222