Nice little DIY project

I am just putting the final (electrical) touches to a house that flooded last December in the big freeze/thaw. It could something similar.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My parents had a caravan with stairs! Okay, not quite. When they were renovating a property in France, we built our own staircase. We cut and drilled everthing and then put it in the caravan as a "flat-pack" to transport for assembly over there. We had worked out that lifting the pieces at least 5" off the caravan floor would allow them to fit just above the curve of the front and rear walls.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Hehehe!

Funny thing is that some friends of mine had a chapel conversion almost exactly like that, except that window was a single full arch rather than a set of knackers.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not so sure if you look at an OS map with that postcode. Looks to be a good 10m maybe 20m above the river. There is a brook but that appears to be in valley. The EA's flood risk map has it in the clear as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

that house is (Mosspaul Close) when I was a kid - I don't think that house was there then, though, and that site was vacant land owned by the adjacent railway.

I remember there was a small wooded area at the top end of Old Milverton Road where the fly tippers used to dump all manner of stuff - I used to bike up there with my dad's tools and raid old washing machines etc. for useful odds and sods.

Thanks for the memory jog :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

here.http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20227407.html>> Mike

Maybe the owner had an attack of good taste and decided to demolish it from the inside.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

here.http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20227407.html>>>> Mike

How about excessive Radon? The three pipes in the living room space could be a radon pump.

Mike

Reply to
mailveil13-usenet

TV makeover project, but the artsy presenter got bored and skipped?

Reply to
root

As per other message, I lived very close by there once - I remember the brook and it really was a tiny little thing. My memory of the river is as you suggest - there was quite a reasonable downward slope from where that house is.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

There is yet another one

of 4 get 3 days and £3k to raise house value by £15k. No win no pay.

Doesn't seem to encourage quality work.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If I were giving prizes for the best caption...

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

There seem to be some internal walls missing but if it was just a major make-over why take out the solid concrete floor?

Just what are those pipes in the living room for? They couldn't have been part of the original set-up in the house, could they?

The ones in the kitchen area are smaller and could conceivably be for services, but so many?

Has anyone contacted the agent for details? The full particulars must surely contain a full explanation of the circumstances, particularly as this is up for auction.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Piles?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I am not familiar with the technique but I would have thought that any piles required would be inserted as close as possible (and either side of) to the wall they were to support. The positions of these seem essentially random.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Maybe a void opened up under the floors (like they occasionally do under roads) and it was the floor rather than the walls which failed?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The full details are available for downloading from the agents web site.

don't give much more detail.

Reply to
Andrew May

More likely to be the insurance company that's slow IMHO.

I did wonder whether it was a case of Japanese knotweed.

Reply to
Mark

When were the Google vans around? It looks pretty inhabited in Streetview.

Reply to
Andrew May

Very unlikely. That house is at least a mile away from the area which was flooded - and on considerably higher ground.

I've just had a word with a friend who lives within about 100 yards of this gutted house. According to him, that close was built on land which used to be a scrap yard. There was subsequently found to be a problem with the ground on which that particular house was built - he's not sure whether it's subsidence, or something else such as chemical contamination. Anyway someone apparently started to remedy it as an insurance job - hence the gutted interior, missing staircase, etc. - and then abandoned it because it was getting too expensive.

It has apparently made the adjacent houses difficult to sell, even though they're not (yet!) exhibiting the same problem.

Reply to
Roger Mills