Newbie jigsaw 'discovery' / blade advice.

About a year ago I bought a cheap jigsaw from Aldi, and it came with a packet of blades, which I thought was good. Well, after many frustrating attempts at getting the saw to work well - the blade would bend off to the left so cuts were not perpendicular, the saw would wander with anything other than the lightest of touch even when using a guide, etc, - I resigned myself to the idea that it wasn't such a great purchase after all.
But yesterday whilst in the local Axminster I bought a 5-pack of Makita B-11 blades for four pounds twenty. Well the difference is almost unbelievable. The saw now cuts straight, perpendicular, and a lot faster. Clearly the blades supplied with the saw were garbage.
I hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.
David Paste expressed precisely :

Thanks. I never thought to question the quality of the blades that come with the saw. If I were a manufacturer of jigsaws, I would want my product to work perfectly. I wonder how many customers they have lost who think the brand is no good.
McGyver
On 06/04/2012 17:35, David Paste wrote:

of blades, which I thought was good. Well, after many frustrating attempts at getting the saw to work well - the blade would bend off to the left so cuts were not perpendicular, the saw would wander with anything other than the lightest of touch even when using a guide, etc, - I resigned myself to the idea that it wasn't such a great purchase after all.

blades for four pounds twenty. Well the difference is almost unbelievable. The saw now cuts straight, perpendicular, and a lot faster. Clearly the blades supplied with the saw were garbage.

From the FAQ:
"Jigsaw blades are simple looking things, but it is important to get ones that are made with decent materials and to a reasonable standard of construction. A blade stamped out of a sheet of steel will never cut a straight line due to having a burr on one side of it! So beware the bundle pack of 50 blades for five pounds."
--
Cheers,

John.

On 06/04/2012 17:35, David Paste wrote:

In general, the coarser the blade, the less it wanders. Fine blades only work on thin material IME

To be fair I've bought jigsaw blades from Lidl and found them ok. But not Aldi.
--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 10:37:04 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

The bundled blades that came with the Aldi powersaw were fantastic for bendability without snapping - actually quite useful when it came to cutting off square to remove excess studding.