New nukes ?

Just make sure they don't go anywhere. Can't be that hard. We seem to manage with the nations gold reserves (for example).

I'm still not really convinced about objections to dropping them into an open volcano ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

well the advanced torus thingie is on track to make power in a few years now. Only taken 70 odd years of low priority investment...

The Natural Philosopher

I think RR is seeking govt. committing funds (£135m ?) which if forthcoming they say will be matched by investors.

I don't suppose £270m goes far in mini-nukes, but it's in the right direction ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I wonder what happened to that outfit the BBC were plugging a while back. (It was supposed to be a documentary, but focussed on this with company named a bit too long for my tastes). Somewhere in Oxford and using shockwaves to fuse hydrogen ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It worries me that with this massive expenditure on Covid, govt investment in such projects will be significantly curtailed.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The thing I don't understand about Fusion is why anyone expects it to be cheap/economic, even if they did get it to work. i.e Fast breeders effectively give us enough power, why would fusion be cheaper?

Reply to
Pancho

In message <rolocm$s7f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Jethro_uk <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com writes

Hmm.. I sat next to an gentleman from Harwell (I think) at an energy managers conference around 1982. Asked the inevitable question, he said, at least 50 years!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Pah, drop in the ocean compared to Brexit spending so far.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Quite so. You decommission teh safe bits and leave the rest for 50 years. Then you decommission that. AIUI, the reactor of the Three Mile Island incident has been completely decommissioned.

By the way, Brian, you should understand that you (and I, in fact everyone) are radioactive. And so has been every plant and animal that ever existed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Living not that far from the biggest nuclear reactor in the solar system might just have something to do with it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Numbers?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And we all know about experts, don't we ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Last count from Bloomberg was £203 billion by year end.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Interesting that Turnip thinks one who gave 'testing his eyesight' as a reason to drive many miles with his partner and child in the car 'has a brain'. The average 5 year old could invent a better lie than that.

But of course it's a rat leaving the sinking ship. Before Jan 1st. And all the fallout from crashing out of the EU.

This is what happens when you don't listen to those who have a far better idea what will happen after leaving the EU.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

But they only stand to make money out of it if it actually works.

Unless you're going to claim they're only doing it to get Govt research grants and employ highly qualified people doing useless research just for the sake of it.

When they could presumbly be emplying those same people to be actually doing something useful.

Or you might say they're simply doing it (PR puff) to reassure private investors. But again if they're simply pouring money down the drain, that won't do much for their reputation.

Just like electric cars not taking into account the cost and relative efficiency of the power generation plants needed to produce the power for their relatively efficient electric motors, then.

He's a bit more than a bozo by the looks of things. Are you sure he wasn't adopted ?

Anyway as long as *you* haven't lent him any money, or acted as guarantor for any of his loans, that's the important thing.

As it happens your analogy might be better applied to nuclear. Where the costs of decommissioning will still need to be met, long after particular plants have ceased operation, and are no longer producing electricity

michael adams

Please stop telling us what you feel. Richard Dawkins

That you're a bit of a pompous d*****ad ? Fair enough, if you insist.

Reply to
michael adams

And it is estimated that "Covid-19 is already likely to cost the UK government £317bn ? in _increased_ public borrowing ? in 2020/21 alone" (my emphasis).

Hardly a drop in the ocean!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

One of the R4 science programs had someone talking about sending microbe packages up to ISS with the long term aim of getting them to extract rare earth elements from asteroids.

If you are a university researcher you are making money out of the

*idea*, not out of any long term commercial prospects.

To my mind the reason mining asteroids is a very long way off is, apart from the extraction cost, because of the energy cost of moving mass from one orbit to another. This is currently far in excess of the value of any stable element.

Reply to
newshound

Oh yes. Trouble is, most people won't understand what you are talking about.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Indeed. But that's fundamental or basic research with no immediate short term benefits. Usually funded directly or indirectly through grants to Universities by Govts or by billionaire donors looking for tax breaks and good publicity

The research I was referring to was the kind described on the Mitsubishi Corporation* website

<quote>

A project is underway in the Netherlands where they are planning to transform their large thermal generation into a 100% hydrogen - fired power generation plant by 2025. We are driving the practical application of large-scale hydrogen gas turbine, is taking part in this project. The hydrogen generation technology is part of the growth strategy for Japan.

</quote>

Almost in the original Japanese

michael adams

*ISTR having a Mitsubishi TV in the 1980's or 90's. Not a Matsui which was a made-up Currys brand. As a result of my support I'm pleased to see they've since branched out into everything from vans to power stations.
Reply to
michael adams