New Lithium-ion Batteries?

It is suspect. It contains no cleansing additives etc. It is also like following a chip shop it stinks so much. You have to pay tax on the fuel. Rather you than me.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

power is produced 'in

depending on

And it never will be while people with attitudes like yours remain wedded to the IC engine.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

??

What are you on about? Let me repeat, in simpler terms:

"It is not necessarily better to burn fossil fules in a power station than in an IC engine."

Which bit of that do you disagree with?

Reply to
Grunff

You didn't read did you!!

The gripe by environmentalists is that electricity is dirty and inefficient from power station to point use with latent heat and line losses. True when looking at heating buildings and hot water, where natural gas can be burnt at point of use at 90% efficiency. Heating your domestic hot water by electricity is about 30% efficient end to end.

However power generation is now more efficient with energy reclaim measures in place in the newer and more advanced stations - not to mention wind, solar, wave hydro etc. However, the vehicle is another matter. It is more efficient to pour fuel into an engine at a power station:

-> with advanced stack scrubbers,

-> that drives a genny,

-> that sends the electricity down a line,

-> then into a cars battery

-> and then propels the car,

...than pour the fuel directly into a current car.

75% of energy stored in your tank is WASTED, while only a few percentage points of energy is wasted from a battery pack - and the electric car is 100% clean at point of use, cleaning up cities at a STROKE.

Electric cars are also brilliant and super quiet to drive. The only thing that will prevent this charge towards 100% electric is the vested interest of auto and oil giants (who want to go hydrogen and fuel cell as well) and lack of political will - and ignorance too. Interesting times ahead and the back of filthy agricultural diesels we may see for good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Scrubbers have nothing to do with efficiency - in fact, running them is quite expensive energetically.

You misunderstand me. I'm actually quite pro electric vehicles, with the following provisos:

  1. That the energy used to charge them doesn't come from fossil fuels
  2. That the battery technology is significantly better than what we have today

We just aren't there yet. Electric cars simply don't make any sense today. They may in 10-20 years time, or not. Depends.

Reply to
Grunff

But it negates your pollution theory.

But cars can gradually kill us and wasting 75% of the energy in the tank? What odd logic.

It is clear you know sweet FA about current and in the lab battery technology.

WE ARE. That is the point. WE ARE. All it needs is the manfactuiring to be en-mass and the charging infrastructure in place.

Do some reading.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

N> Again, only in theory. In practice the source is gas, oil and coal.

In simple terms, whilst people continue to deny the possibility of any alternative to the *current* reality, then nothing will change.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq