New dwelling surprises :-)

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

The second home I bought, a maisonette, had gas hot water/ central heating, and it worked fine for a few days, then stopped. Investigation found that the timer was clockwork. Needed winding once a week. Worked well enough, as long as I remembered to wind it up :-)

Reply to
News

Maybe the cradles didn't go high enough? When we replaced the bath in our house, the cradles & feet didn't raise it up high enough for the drain pipe (going through the wall) so I had to prop them up on blocks of wood.

I read "seat fouls" & my mind boggled for a minute, but I get it now.

Reply to
Adam Funk

In my brother's new house we discovered a socket at the back of the fireplace. Tracing the cable revealed it went up the /centre/ of the chimney breast - exactly where you'd stick a picture hook through it.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

electric shower.

presumably they had failed to

there was no spare way in the CU.

A few years ago I was called up to a five year old house just bought by a young couple. Their call was to do something to get the en-suite shower working, replace if necessary. Turned out the shower supply cable was there, just dangling down the back of the stud wall and not connected. It had never been connected, since new. So, far from forking out for a new shower, they got the use of an unused one, that was still effectively new.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

4.5 years into this house I discovered that the downstairs shower was wired from the upstairs ringmain. I'm glad now we never used it, and that I only found out because I was removing it (and I'm also glad I carefully checked it wasn't still live after swicthing off the "shower" mcb).
Reply to
Piers Finlayson

What did the "Shower MCB" supply (dreading the answer ;-)

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , John Rumm writes

There's posh.

When I moved in here, the bedroom had a cable coming out of the floor, and going straight up the wall and into the ceiling, no clips, just gently swinging around (turned out to be the power feed for the garage). The bathroom had a papered over cable for the (non-working) extractor fan.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Just the upstairs one :-). Perhaps I should have been suspicious at two showers being on the same MCB!

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

I helped my son move into his new shared student flat last week, and noticed the same 'feature' in their bathroom.

God only knows what that room will look like in a few weeks' time... Mind you, I don't suppose they'd bother lifting the seat even if it did stay up :(

David

Reply to
Lobster

Central heating didn't seem to be working properly last night.

Fired OK when the +1 hr or Advance buttons were pressed, but didn't respond to the wireless thermostat or stat on hot water cylinder.

Re installed wireless stat, tested it by leaving it in the fridge, even read the instructions!

After an hour of buggering about I noticed the time clock on the controller was set to 9:30am not 9:30pm!

Doh!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ROFL....

That's why I detest AM/PM clocks and set everything to 24 hr format if I possibly can.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1
Reply to
S Viemeister

+1
Reply to
Tim Streater

"Read the instuctions" No way.

Reply to
ARW

I was desperate :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In an episode of the "Red Green Show" (Canadian sketch/sitcom from the

1990s), someone tells the members of Men Anonymous that it's OK to read the instructions because it's not like asking for help, it's like cheating.
Reply to
Adam Funk