New Drill: Sensible Choice?

I've been muddling through with cordless drills for the last few years and it's well past time to get something with a bit more oomph.
I've done some research and read the (very useful) Power Tools FAQ. Through an indirect route I can get a staff discount on Bosch and it looks like the Bosch PBH 240 RE has what I'm looking for. Because of the discount I should get it for 108 (rather than 140-ish). It's key features are:
Rotary hammer and chiselling machine Electronic pneumatic hammer produces a massive 2.2 Joule impact force Electronic variable speed control Forward and reverse SDS -plus chuck for hammer drilling Max drilling dia: concrete 24mm, 65mm with a core drill in masonry Keyless chuck (heavy duty) for rotary drilling and screwdriving Power input 620w
My main query is to whether this is a decent power tool that should be good for most things an average (at best) DIY-er might want to do over the long term, or is it hopelessly over the top and I should really go for one or two models down?
Regards,
Michael
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I know nothing about the drill in question but it is better 'to have a function and not need it than to need it and not have it'. IF (big if) money is not an object would always go for slightly better/higher spec than I needed at the moment, as in that way would not have to buy new as I got slightly better. All IMHO of course.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Kind of depends. "Damn this heavy SDS thing" might well be the thought that crops up often if you need to put in lots of small screws at awkward angles.
Ian Stirling wrote:

Weight is a big factor on the usefullness of a drill , But the op said he already had cordless drills, was sort of expecting, but I didn't state, that he would use these for small/medium screws and small holes in wood.
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

These SDS hammers with rotation stop are extremely useful for many jobs. But probably over the top if all you do is put up the occasional shelf. I've got the roughly equivalent DeWalt one, and I'm very pleased with it. It's not my first choice for 'normal' drilling or screwing, though, although it will do both. I've got a fairly ancient B&D variable speed and reversing model which I fitted with a keyless chuck which I grab first as a mains drill. It's lighter. ;-)
But only you know the sort of work you'll do. And since these things don't suffer from not being used much if stored correctly or go out of fashion, I'd say go for it. It should last a lifetime of DIY work. If you find it too heavy for light work, buy a cheap mains one as well.
--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

[...]
I have the same model (paid about 170 a couple of years ago) and it has served me well, chiselling render, bricks, backboxes out and drilling 20mm holes through 9" brickwork and used as a screwdriver for some big screws on the back fence in short the best tool i've ever bought
Regards Jeff

Ooops its not the same, mines the blue one
Regards Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There is actually quite a few you could choose at that price. Personally I would be looking at one of the blue body (pro) range like the GBH models though (the DIY range of Bosch drills tend to be more variable in quality).
See :
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=SDS%20Chisel%20Drills
The Makita HR2450X is also very well respected - more power than the Bosch, but the ordinary chuck is a plug in type rather than a replacement for the SDS chuck.

Chances are you can get a bit more than that out of it with a core bit. I have managed 107mm on my Makita (although it does have 200W more power to play with)

Not much point going too many models down because you tend to lose the chisel function on the cheaper ones and this is well worth having. If you are looking at tools in this range I don't think you will be dissapointed even if they are slightly higher performing than you actually need.
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

This tends to suggest to me that you dont do heavy duty work with it. If so, and if you dont need a concrete breaking hammer chisel function, nor drill 4" wide holes, then you wont need SDS. (Even a 10 Crappo special will have much more power than your typical codless.)

sure
erm... not exactly. I find most work is screwing, wood drilling, and light work generally. No way Id pick an beast of an SDS for that!

for anything you use a codless for, yes, probably.

I dont know what you plan to do with it, so we cant really say. If it were me in your position I might get a cheap small mains drill, and only if that were inadequate then get an SDS. Even with the SDS you'll probably use the mains drill much more.
BTW ISTR Argos doing a 3 function Bosch sds for about 80. dont get a 2 function one.
NT