new doors all around house.

Got a 80's house that needs some modern doors. Had a measure up, some are 700mm, some 760mm wide. Been looking around and there is a HUGE difference in price, so cheapies that look ok for 15ish a pop, and then similar looking doors for 115.
What should I be looking for when purchasing interior doors? I need a mixture of glazed and plain.
Thanks.
--

Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

On 17/10/2012 16:24, MaRKg123 wrote:

Depends what you are trying to achieve. Cheap egg box doors will fill the gap and keep the draft out, but look pretty lame.
Slightly posher egg box ones come in various styles of "panel" layout. Look a bit better. Still not much copy for a quality feel or for reducing sound transmission.
Real softwood for something to be painted that will look authentic and do a better job of keeping sound transmission down.
Engineered wood are quite a good all round option. Real hardwood faces, but stuck onto a MDF or similar mad made core. Hence dimensionally stable, and unlikely to warp or crack. Much better noise isolation.
Real hardwood if you want to spend the money.
Mid priced fire doors can be quite a cost effective way of getting a dense heavy door.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:40:57 +0100, John Rumm

Thanks, that's the sorta info I needed, I now understand the differences.
--

Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

You might go to an architectural salvage yard where you can pick up second hand ones.

all of which (unless plain) will be of a subtly different design & shape - none of which will look like they were supposed to be together
Jim K
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:08:09 PM UTC+1, MaRKg123 wrote:

Just one other thing to add: knotty pine has more risk of warp than clear.
Sounds like a good short wiki article.
NT