http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/2/2b/NewCU.jpg
--
Adam

On 25/05/2018 19:59, ARW wrote:

Doh... he didn't use the right colour crimps.
On Fri, 25 May 2018 19:59:57 +0100, ARW wrote:

You got called to see why nothing was working?
On 25/05/2018 19:59, ARW wrote:

The camera angle is not helping, but something does not look right with those neutral tails....
Is that main switch even in circuit?
--
Cheers,

John.
On Friday, 25 May 2018 22:19:25 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:

Maybe the lid wouldn't fit on with all the wires in, so he had to leave a few off.
I'm not claiming that mine is much better though, although everything does work.
Owain
On Fri, 25 May 2018 22:19:24 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Non-combatant here, but I can't see anything going into the neutral of the main switch. Could be the angle of bend, of course.
Assuming that the red and black in grey sleeving is the feed from the meter, they seem to be one position out; I would expect black to be over the 'N' and red over the 'L'.
I can't really make head nor tail of the red/black/blue/brown wiring.
To show how little I know, shouldn't everything be fed off the live and neutral bus through the main switch? In which case why are the two 63A RCDs linked by wires over the top?
What is the function of the furthest left thick blue wire? It seems almost to go down behind the CU; if not it is in the live of the main switch which means it can't be isolated (I think).
Last lot of electrics I used a professional!
Cheers
Dave R

David wrote:

It's a split-load board, so there are several neutral busbars - one for each RCD, and one for the non-RCD circuits. It looks like this board has three, and I *think* they're wired correctly. The neutral out from the main switch (hidden by the camera angle) goes to the first busbar, top left. As there are no non-RCD circuits, no circuit neutrals should go to this busbar, but the input to the two RCDs is fed from it. The cable goes to the neutral in of RCD 1, then across to the neutral in of RCD 2. The terminal on RCD 1 may be over capacity, and two separate links from the busbar would be better, but without seeing the instructions for this board I don't know if it's how it's supposed to be wired. The neutral outputs from the RCDs then go to the other two neutral busbars. The circuit neutrals have to go to the right busbar, or the RCD will trip. The live cable from the output of the main switch looks like it goes behind the rail to the top of RCD 1, then is linked across to RCD 2. The outputs of the RCDs feed the busbars under the black cover, which feed the MCBs.
It's surprising given the rise of RCDs that CUs still rely on linking cables to connect up the RCDs. In fact with RCBOs becoming more common, I would have thought there's a market for an RCBO-only board with both live and neutral busbars along the bottom and no link cables at all.
One thing I did notice is that the MCBs aren't in order. I was always told to put the highest rated MCBs next to the switch and then work down, but the 6A MCBs are in the middle of each group.
Mike
As far as I can see there is no connection to the main switch
Richard
Tricky Dicky wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's just the camera angle hiding it. There are four thick blue cables going off the top of the picture. The leftmost one disappears behind the main switch, and could loop into the bottom of it without being seen - look how little of the blue cable is visible below the first RCD . Also if you look carefully there's a brown cable coming up from the top of the first RCD (behind the one that loops to the second RCD). It's mostly hidden behind a bunch of blue cables, then comes down behind the brown cable that goes to the 40A MCB and vanishes behind the breakers - I can't see where this can be going if not to the main switch.
Mike
On 25/05/2018 19:59, ARW wrote:

I seemed to hear a desperate Scouser saying "gis a job, go on, I can do that". But at least Yosser knew which bricks were supposed to go where.
--
Robin
On 25/05/18 19:59, ARW wrote:

Sadly the camera angle prevents me coming to a definite conclusion, but there might be half a dozen errors with the feed to the RCD or none.
Assuming those are 25mm2 incoming sheathed tails, nominal 11mm dia and using Gimp to measure cable sizes from the other parts.
1) Those non meter interlinks are 16mm2? If so, then 2 into the top left RCD N IN is OK as those usually take 35mm2 max (in the few Hager devices I've had). If 25mm2, then that terminal is over capacity.
Gimp suggests they have an OD of 8.4mm +/- 0.5mm so 16mm2 if sheathed, but could be 25mm2 if single insulated.
2) Where's the other half of the ring on the 1st and 3rd from left B32? That looks like a 2.5mm2 conductor so underrated for a B32
3) Rightmost B32 looks like 4mm-6mm2 so must be a non ring circuit I guess.
4) Left B40 looks 4-6mm2 based on estimated OD, less than 10mm2 so under rated for a 40A circuit.
=======================OK sir, what's my score?
How many did I miss? (Don't say what, I'll have another look)
But give the bloke a plus point for bothering with flexi grommit strip on the rear entries, even though one has started unravelling.
On 26/05/18 11:46, Tim Watts wrote:

The stripped insulation scrap bottom right. Do those things breed?

On 26/05/2018 12:41, Richard wrote:

Only in the vicinity of a BT green cabinet :-)
On Sat, 26 May 2018 12:41:29 +0100

When emptying my work trouser pockets I often find them in the back pockets - how the fuck do they get in the back pockets?
On 27/05/2018 16:56, Steve wrote:

You're wearing someone elses trousers ?
On 26/05/2018 11:46, Tim Watts wrote:

It may be I'm misled by the camera angle but it looks to me as if the neutral is bridged from the first RCD to the second RCD, so Gordon Bennet knows what's going on at the 3 neutral terminals. Perhaps it's too obscene for Adam to show in the photo ;)
--
Robin
On 26/05/2018 11:46, Tim Watts wrote:

Not bad.
CCT 3 is the upstairs sockets that are a 2.5mm radial.
Ditto for CCT 5 that feeds the garage however that is a 1.5mm SWA.
--
Adam

On 26/05/18 19:09, ARW wrote:

On a 32A circuit. Ok, #Fail

That *is* impressive!!!
Was I right on the B40?
On 26/05/2018 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:

Although it does depend on what is on the other end... one double socket for example would be ok.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 26/05/2018 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:

Well it's 6mm with installation method C...
--
Adam