New conservatory over drain inspection cover

Dear UK d.i.y.ers,

I am contemplating building a new house-linked conservatory on the site of an existing rear patio.

One issue is that there are drain runs and an inspection cover over a drain junction box in the area in question. Re-routing/re-engineering the drains around the area would be extremely onerous and costly. I realise that having a drain inspection cover inside a conservatory is undesirable, although I understand gas-tight lids exist. But it is it illegal?

The likelihood of needing to access and unblock the drains from this point is not zero - I have had to do it three times in ~ 27 years. However, although this scenario is fairly unpleasant, it may be a risk I would be willing to run.

What do people think/know?

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris S

No. I've had a gas-tight lid in a kitchen. They're usually designed for a tiled inlay and are quitre inconspicuous.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It is quite feasible but you need to comply with the building regulations. Best to go and talk to them before committing to the purchase.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

We have one of those with the cover under the side wall near the house. The conservatory has a half wall and the bit over the cover was required to be full height plastic, not brick so it looks a bit odd.

If anything goes wrong the conservatory will have to be dismantled for access.

Avoid if any walls are involved. Under the floor in the conservatory is probably a different matter, and easier to cope with.

As the house is occupied by an old lady who has gone a bit dotty and shoves anything down the toilet we are resorting to prayer at the moment.

Reply to
ericp

I have a sealed screw down manhole cover in my lounge extension floor, had to roll the carpet up once in 14 years to allow the building inspector to have a mooch as he missed it the first time. Not too worried about needing to get at it again if need be though - just takes an hour or so to make sure the carpet goes back properly. Franko.

Reply to
Franko