New boiler needed?

Not a plumber.

Reply to
IMM

No. 1 it is a crap system. The public is so unware that few take it seriously. Go to a new house showhome/office. Ask the ladies wht teh SAP is, and they will say I'll ring the head office.

Reply to
IMM

Condensers are madatory after April. Go for one with one a piece heat exchanger & downward firing burner. Glow Worm do a good condesner as do Worcetser Bosch and they will not break the bank. The RRs are Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) and Veissmann, both German.

Reply to
IMM

The SAP allowance for condensing boilers was a bad idea. Allowing builders to skimp on insulation by fitting a more efficient boiler that would probably have got fitted within 5 years anyway is not helping.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I totally agree. Negotiated by the Builders Federation.

Reply to
IMM

You're confusing two things: Generally you don't have to achieve any particular SAP Rating. If you are opting to show compliance using the Target U-value method (the most common choice) then using a condensing boiler reduces the required level of insulation and/or allows larger windows. This provision does not apply in Scotland for the reason that Christian advances: i.e. in the opinion of Scotland Building Regs division it is a seriously bad idea to reduce thermal insulation standards (which may be difficult or impossible to improve later) just because you've installed a better boiler which may be replaced by one that is less efficient in the future (less likely after 2005 of course). See

- Target U-value

- E&W,Scotland,NI differences

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Top info, thanks to all who have replied.

Reply to
PM

Add Keston to the above list.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Well I hope you are not going to call yourself anything ending in *Engineer* !

Reply to
Mark

When we moved house last year we needed a new boiler, the fitter we have used for the last 15 years quoted £1900, he wouldnt entertain a condensing boiler,anyway using this n/g i researched the subject and followed the advice (i think it was IMMs) and contacted 'uselessenergy' eventually settled with an ideal isar 35kw for £800 inc vat, flue and frame. i fitted it myself but had the testing done by a heating engineer friend, mainly for peace of mind. if you are confident in your diy skills there is no reason why you cant fit the boiler yourself, make sure you read the instructions fully before starting, i found it was easier to relocate the boiler as most of the prep work, flue etc could be done whilst still retaining the old system for heating

Reply to
andyd

Well.....

Reply to
IMM

BodgeWell Hmmm suits you.....

Reply to
Mark

Are they the Bodgwells of Notts, a well know family of wreckers.

Reply to
IMM

You've been looking up your family tree, fascinating reading for some.

Reply to
Mark

Alas not mine as my infamy is from tango dancing a being a play boy in general. I believe the Bodgwells have no dress sense.

Reply to
IMM

In message , PM writes

No, DIMM is someone who hides behind his monitor

He's our resident troll

... we feed him

Reply to
raden

Maxie, are you saying Dim Lin the Oriental Enchantress is trolling here. Maxie stop all this now.

Reply to
IMM

In message , IMM writes

A well ?

That's a hole full of water isn't it ?

Plumber then

Reply to
raden

Na... I would be prepared to believe he works behind the counter in a plumbers merchants though.... Shop assistant with fantasies.

Reply to
John Rumm

That could be::

- Treats customers with contempt

- Picks up half baked ideas and regurgitates them

- Can't spell, write or add up

It does all fit.

Equally it fits Basil Fawlty :-)

Reply to