New boiler needed?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:03:06 +0000 (UTC), "John"

There was somebody here a while ago who wanted to fit his boiler in a cellar IIRC, and this was the eventual solution for that.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes
You need to check the manufacturer's instructions on spacing and ventilation.
You might find our free SEDBUK boiler database browser helpful - see sig
Tony Bryer wrote:

In case it is any use, I found the Isar was one of the smallest condencing boilers about, it also does not need much clearance space round it (5mm each side, 100 underneath, and 190 above).
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:19:01 +0000, PM wrote:

Room sealed does not necessarily imply cupboard friendly. Almost all modern designs are room sealed, I doubt if there are any other types amongst condensing models this means that combustion air is drawn from outside and is sealed from the internal room air.
Boilers of many types including non room-sealed can be installed in cupboard provided: 1) the manufacturers minimum spacings to combustible materials are maintained. 2) Enough ventilation is provided for combustion air supply (non-room-sealed models) and appliance cooling.
Modern boilers tend not to need ventilation for appliance cooling.
When I fitted the Keston C25 in my own house I had an disused vented 250mm diameter duct adjacent to the cupboard into which I could run the flue, air duct, gas supply, blown off pipe, condensate drain and still provide ventilation via low and high level grilles to the cupboard for appliance cooling. You may wish to choose a boiler which is more cupboard friendly.
HTH
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Pm wrote:

Condensers are madatory after April. Go for one with one a piece heat exchanger & downward firing burner. Glow Worm do a good condesner as do Worcetser Bosch and they will not break the bank. The RRs are Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) and Veissmann, both German.
Pm wrote:

No. 1 it is a crap system. The public is so unware that few take it seriously. Go to a new house showhome/office. Ask the ladies wht teh SAP is, and they will say I'll ring the head office.

I'd guess it's less work for a plumber to always fit identical boilers. Many still recommend Potterton from the time they were a decent make - many years ago.
What a plumber recommends won't necessarily be the best for your individual requirements. He is likely to be influenced mainly by profit - ie ease of installation, good discounts etc.
IMM is a plumber in all but name.
--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Not a plumber.
IMM snipped-for-privacy@spam.com typed:

Well I hope you are not going to call yourself anything ending in *Engineer* !
typed:

*Engineer*
Well.....
IMM snipped-for-privacy@spam.com typed:

BodgeWell Hmmm suits you.....
typed:

Are they the Bodgwells of Notts, a well know family of wreckers.
IMM snipped-for-privacy@spam.com typed:

Ahh You've been looking up your family tree, fascinating reading for some.
typed:

Alas not mine as my infamy is from tango dancing a being a play boy in general. I believe the Bodgwells have no dress sense.

A well ?
That's a hole full of water isn't it ?
Plumber then
--
geoff

raden wrote:

Na... I would be prepared to believe he works behind the counter in a plumbers merchants though.... Shop assistant with fantasies.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:07:45 +0000, John Rumm

That could be::
- Treats customers with contempt
- Picks up half baked ideas and regurgitates them
- Can't spell, write or add up
It does all fit.
Equally it fits Basil Fawlty :-)
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
typed:

Maxie, how long have you been like this?
writes

The SAP is a rating that new homes have to conform to. It is based on the energy consumption of a building. A condensing boiler uses less energy. They can put in a non-condesning boiler, but then will have to install more insulation, etc to reach the SAP. A few hundred quid on a condenser raises the SAP and they are a good selling point too.
Individual plumbers don't like them because they have to fit an extra 3/4" plastic drain pipe and in general they are totally ignorant of them. The first initial batches of condensers made by UK manufacturers in the mid 1980s were abysmal and never lasted, unlike the Continental makers. So these dumbos still believe condensers only last 3 years or so.

more
The SAP allowance for condensing boilers was a bad idea. Allowing builders to skimp on insulation by fitting a more efficient boiler that would probably have got fitted within 5 years anyway is not helping.
Christian.